WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cold Air Intake

3 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Cold Air Intake Empty Cold Air Intake

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:08 pm

First, do u guys think CAI is worth puttin on my car??

If so,

I'm wantin to do some CAI on my car here pretty soon and was just wantin some opinions on the best brand and where to order from. Buddy of mine told me to do JLT when I first got the car. I want whichever one is gonna give me the MOST HP gain! I read a very deatailed thread on another forum talkin about different brands, whether u need to do a tune with it, HP gains, and other performance upgrades. Do u need a tune as well? Some said yes and some said no. If so, can I wait a little bit to get the tuner after the intake goes on?

I also read somethin in that thread about the noise it makes. The people that posted that said they LOVED the noise. Which brand will make the loudest noise?? The thread said that it was somewhat of a whining noise. If so, THATS''S AWESOME!!! Can u hear it with the hood closed?? Someone said that it makes the exaust sound better as well. Is this true??

Thanks guys,

Back to top Go down

Cold Air Intake Empty Re: Cold Air Intake

Post by COLE Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:16 pm

i would say no tune and go with JLT i have only really heard good things about them
COLE
COLE
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1630
My Ride/Rides: : 2003 Mustang GT Dark Shadow Grey
Mods: : some suspension, straight pipes, cold air, and ???? idk....

http://www.myspace.com/03colegt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:53 pm

The only CAI i would ever suggest is the JLT.

I have it and i know it gave my hp

Back to top Go down

Post by FRCE_FED Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:03 pm

lethal performance on our vendor section... if you give them a call and tell them your with the wildhorses they will give a higher discount Smile
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:47 pm

MustangManiac wrote:The only CAI i would ever suggest is the JLT.

I have it and i know it gave my hp

I knew u had it Pat. Do u have any idea how much HP it gave u??

Does it make any kind of noise, kinda like a whining noise?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:50 pm

-COLE-

I read that a lot of people do a Cold Air/Tune combo.....Could I put the intake on and then do the tune at a later date?.....And would it be worth it to get the tune??

-Murph-

I'll look on Lethal Performance and see what the prices are. Any idea what the discount would be if I give them a call?

Back to top Go down

Post by stanglover2358 Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 pm

i'd consider a driveshaft before an intake. Yes id get a tune. Call amazon they have a package price
stanglover2358
stanglover2358
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Number of posts : 342

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:15 pm

If you do a intake go with JLT. You can throw on the intake without a tune to begin with but you won't get as much hp. You can hear the intake sucking in the air but it isn't all that loud. Like Brandon said if you decide to do a tuner than go with the Amazon package. Also as he mentioned, an aluminum driveshaft is another mod to consider.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:33 pm

2k6silvergt wrote:If you do a intake go with JLT. You can throw on the intake without a tune to begin with but you won't get as much hp. You can hear the intake sucking in the air but it isn't all that loud. Like Brandon said if you decide to do a tuner than go with the Amazon package. Also as he mentioned, an aluminum driveshaft is another mod to consider.

I was lookin at some other threads on other forums and JLT and C&L seemed be the most popular choices. From reading the info on the 2 brands I would definitely go with JLT, but I just wanted to see if everybody else agreed with that choice.

I guess my next mods after the intake will have to be of course the tuner as well as the aluminum driveshaft.

Was readin some info on tuners and got hooked! Saw some good cold air/tuner combos but don't have that much money right now. I know the intake would work best with a tune to get the maximum hp out of the whole process so I'm hopin to get some more money so I can get the tuner as well sometime in the near future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Roush_Stage2_03 wrote:
2k6silvergt wrote:If you do a intake go with JLT. You can throw on the intake without a tune to begin with but you won't get as much hp. You can hear the intake sucking in the air but it isn't all that loud. Like Brandon said if you decide to do a tuner than go with the Amazon package. Also as he mentioned, an aluminum driveshaft is another mod to consider.

I was lookin at some other threads on other forums and JLT and C&L seemed be the most popular choices. From reading the info on the 2 brands I would definitely go with JLT, but I just wanted to see if everybody else agreed with that choice.

I guess my next mods after the intake will have to be of course the tuner as well as the aluminum driveshaft.

Was readin some info on tuners and got hooked! Saw some good cold air/tuner combos but don't have that much money right now. I know the intake would work best with a tune to get the maximum hp out of the whole process so I'm hopin to get some more money so I can get the tuner as well sometime in the near future.

I would do a tune or an aluminum driveshaft. I'm making plenty of power with a k&n Drop in and the air silencer deleted. It makes the noise that alot of the other intakes do, and i got the filter with the car, and i mean, when your talking abotu 5-10hp maybe (with a tune) on these 2v's i'll wait till this stock intake is too restrictive.
As for the driveshaft, it and the tune were the best mod's I have done to my car by a longshot! I also have a bigger t/b and plenum so the tune gave me a little bit more than it would you but it still worked wonders. The driveshaft is about the same price as an intake (latemodelrestoration.com beats everyones price on the driveshaft, even AM and lethal) and is definately a noticable gain IMO. Plus, the driveshaft and tuner, they will give you more power the more you do with the car, cause the driveshaft is giving you more RWHP and the tuner you can get a retune for any mod's. If you do buy the tuner new I highly suggest amazon racing. I got mine from them and with their lifetime tunes you can't go wrong, and it's no matter what you do to the car.
But like i said before, the intake will look cool, but our stock intakes really aren't bad once you remove the silencer. The only advantage to a jlt is that the tubing is abotu a half inch bigger and it gets the air from the fender. I woulnd't waste money on that until you have FI, thats why I still have yet to buy one. I personally think their the most over rated things you can do to a car. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:13 pm

SteviGX wrote:
Roush_Stage2_03 wrote:

I would do a tune or an aluminum driveshaft. I'm making plenty of power with a k&n Drop in and the air silencer deleted. It makes the noise that alot of the other intakes do, and i got the filter with the car, and i mean, when your talking abotu 5-10hp maybe (with a tune) on these 2v's i'll wait till this stock intake is too restrictive.
As for the driveshaft, it and the tune were the best mod's I have done to my car by a longshot! I also have a bigger t/b and plenum so the tune gave me a little bit more than it would you but it still worked wonders. The driveshaft is about the same price as an intake (latemodelrestoration.com beats everyones price on the driveshaft, even AM and lethal) and is definately a noticable gain IMO. Plus, the driveshaft and tuner, they will give you more power the more you do with the car, cause the driveshaft is giving you more RWHP and the tuner you can get a retune for any mod's. If you do buy the tuner new I highly suggest amazon racing. I got mine from them and with their lifetime tunes you can't go wrong, and it's no matter what you do to the car.
But like i said before, the intake will look cool, but our stock intakes really aren't bad once you remove the silencer. The only advantage to a jlt is that the tubing is abotu a half inch bigger and it gets the air from the fender. I woulnd't waste money on that until you have FI, thats why I still have yet to buy one. I personally think their the most over rated things you can do to a car. lol

I saw on some other forums that the other route to go instead of buying a cold air kit would be what u were talking about with the k&n drop and removing the air silencer. So that's gonna do the same thing a whole cold air intake would do??? If so, that would be a HELL of a lot cheaper!!

So u think I should do the aluminum driveshaft and tuner....and just go with the k&n drop and the air silencer deleted?? Is the aluminum driveshaft and the tuner good to do even though I don't have the t/b and plenum??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:18 pm

O yeah for sure! You dont need the t/b and plenum for it to do good. It will just make each mod better and better from here on out if you get a tune.

The driveshaft is one of the best mod's i've done. Let me just tell you this much. I ran 13.93@99 was my fastest time. After the tune and the driveshaft i ran a 13.5@102, and it's still got more in it. You tell me if it really made a difference. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:22 pm

SteviGX wrote:O yeah for sure! You dont need the t/b and plenum for it to do good. It will just make each mod better and better from here on out if you get a tune.

The driveshaft is one of the best mod's i've done. Let me just tell you this much. I ran 13.93@99 was my fastest time. After the tune and the driveshaft i ran a 13.5@102, and it's still got more in it. You tell me if it really made a difference. lol

WOW! That's awesome man! What's the driveshaft under on the latemodelrestoration website??

I'm hoping to find a used tuner for cheap since I wanna do the driveshaft and tuner combo. Do u have a handheld tuner? What would be the best route to go with the tuner?? Heard a lot of good comments about Diablosport Predator as well as the Xcal....

Back to top Go down

Post by stanglover2358 Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:24 pm

steve...do u and pat have another date tomorrow night at IRP? :*burnout*:
stanglover2358
stanglover2358
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Back to top Go down

Post by stanglover2358 Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:25 pm

call amazon dude
stanglover2358
stanglover2358
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:31 pm

stanglover2358 wrote:call amazon dude

I definately agree. Rick did an awesome job! His resume of car's is rediculous!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:36 pm

I'll give them a call.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 pm

Like the others said if you want a tuner go with Amazon. You can get his combo package for $400 and that includes either a predator or xcal handheld tuner along with lifetime tunes. Considering to get their lifetime tunes is $175 you are pretty much getting a new tuner for $225 then. That is the best way to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by COLE Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 am

2k6silvergt wrote:Like the others said if you want a tuner go with Amazon. You can get his combo package for $400 and that includes either a predator or xcal handheld tuner along with lifetime tunes. Considering to get their lifetime tunes is $175 you are pretty much getting a new tuner for $225 then. That is the best way to go.
ok this makes since if you going to get a tune i would go this direction and if it works the same as it did with steves car i don't know why you wouldn't
COLE
COLE
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:39 pm

COLE wrote:
2k6silvergt wrote:Like the others said if you want a tuner go with Amazon. You can get his combo package for $400 and that includes either a predator or xcal handheld tuner along with lifetime tunes. Considering to get their lifetime tunes is $175 you are pretty much getting a new tuner for $225 then. That is the best way to go.
ok this makes since if you going to get a tune i would go this direction and if it works the same as it did with steves car i don't know why you wouldn't

I was planning on doing a tune with it all along. Steve suggested that I do a tune and aluminum driveshaft....and as for the intake he suggested a k&n drop and removing the air silencer. I read countless threads where everybody said that doing this will give u the same results as doing a whole CAI kit....plus it's a whole lot cheaper!

I know a few people that have aluminum driveshafts....but I don't know all that much about them and what they do performance wise?

Back to top Go down

Post by COLE Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Roush_Stage2_03 wrote:
COLE wrote:

I was planning on doing a tune with it all along. Steve suggested that I do a tune and aluminum driveshaft....and as for the intake he suggested a k&n drop and removing the air silencer. I read countless threads where everybody said that doing this will give u the same results as doing a whole CAI kit....plus it's a whole lot cheaper!

I know a few people that have aluminum driveshafts....but I don't know all that much about them and what they do performance wise?
they reduce your rotational mass by that your just freeing up horsepower. you not adding any horsepower at all your just using more of what you have. your stock driveshaft is heavier than an aluminum driveshaft making it harder to spin therefore using more "horsepower" to move what you have. By putting in the lighter driveshaft it makes it easier to spin so you feel as if you have more " horsepower" you didn't gain any you just made it easier to use what you already had. so the lighter the parts the easier you can transfer "horsepower" to the rear wheels
COLE
COLE
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:29 pm

COLE wrote:
Roush_Stage2_03 wrote:
COLE wrote:

they reduce your rotational mass by that your just freeing up horsepower. you not adding any horsepower at all your just using more of what you have. your stock driveshaft is heavier than an aluminum driveshaft making it harder to spin therefore using more "horsepower" to move what you have. By putting in the lighter driveshaft it makes it easier to spin so you feel as if you have more " horsepower" you didn't gain any you just made it easier to use what you already had. so the lighter the parts the easier you can transfer "horsepower" to the rear wheels

Would it be worth doing the aluminum driveshaft on my car?

Should I do the tune or the driveshaft first?

Back to top Go down

Post by COLE Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:00 pm

driveshaft then tune and yes it would be worth it you are making it easier for your car to use horsepower that you have anytime you can do that it is worth it
COLE
COLE
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:48 pm

COLE wrote:driveshaft then tune and yes it would be worth it you are making it easier for your car to use horsepower that you have anytime you can do that it is worth it

I will purchase in that order then. I've looked on various sites and the going rare for driveshafts seems to be in the high $200's. Does that sound about right?

I think I'm gonna get the tuner from Amazon Racing. Zak and Brandon reccommended them and told me to talk to a guy named Rick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:49 pm

Yeah, Rick tuned my car too. He's a great tuner. I am very very please!

As far as the driveshaft. latemodelrestoration has then for 244.90 shipped. I bought mine a couple weeks ago. The driveshaft wont give you any more horsepower on motor, but it will give you more RWHP because of the lighter rotating mass. It was definatly noticable on my car

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next