WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racing fuel

+2
Wolvee
scstanger
6 posters

Go down

Racing fuel Empty Racing fuel

Post by scstanger Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:21 am

Hey gang,
A local service station has racing fuel or 110 octane. I've been told that a stock motor cannot handle the heat that this would generate but that I can mix it with 93 octane and get better performance. Do any of you guys know what the ratio is for this mixture? Thanks.
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1175
Humor : In every situation!
My Name: : Richard
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 Roush Stage 1
Mods: : Roush CAI, BBK 70mm TB with Trickflow Aluminum Intake manifold and plenum, Magnaflow X and shorty mufflers, SCT Tune, 8000k HID Headlights and FOGS

Back to top Go down

Racing fuel Empty Re: Racing fuel

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:36 am

First off the higher the octane doesnt mean the fuel burns hotter it just means it burns slower. You want to use the lowest octane possible for the best performance. You can run that fuel but unless your running high compression or boost its pointless.

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am

Oh ok, so why do I fill up with Premium everytime?! My car seems to run better on premium fuel. If I put the mid or lowgrade fuel it runs like total shitake mushrooms. Why does lower octane render better performance results. Sorry about all the questions but I'm totally confused about fuel now and after watching you spank that firebird I'm all ears!!!!
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Mods: : Roush CAI, BBK 70mm TB with Trickflow Aluminum Intake manifold and plenum, Magnaflow X and shorty mufflers, SCT Tune, 8000k HID Headlights and FOGS

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvee Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:48 am

If your cars not tuned for premium it's wasting it. The timing and fuel map (Curve) doesn't support it.

Unless you're tuned open and without O2 sensors the 110 will kill your O2's.
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1711
Humor : "I have nothing to declare but my genius."
My Name: : Mike
My Ride/Rides: : 01 F150
Mods: : 35's, 3" Body lift, soon to have a new 5.4 w/ some goodies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=2525263

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:06 am

I haven't done any work to the engine yet so I'm sure that it isn't tuned. I'll save my $4.65/gallon until I get some beefing done to the engine dept. Thanks guys.
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SVT Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:44 pm

In your case the only thing higher octane will do is burn cleaner, thats why it seems better, but it can also make you run slower as well.
SVT
SVT
Small Block 289
Small Block 289

Male Number of posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:13 pm

This is amazing! All this time I've been thinking that higher octane rendered higher performance results. I would like to get a tuner for my car, what brand do you guys recommend? SCT seems to be pretty popular as well as Diablo and Predator. Those two may be one in the same, I'm going from memory here. Also, if and when I get one, can you guys help me tune my car?
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SVT Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:50 am

Who is a good tuner in your area? If there is not one I would almost say either one but it seems the diabilo will be a little more user friendley. I have had both for my lightning.
SVT
SVT
Small Block 289
Small Block 289

Male Number of posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post by FRCE_FED Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:57 am

I just purchased the PRP tuning kit from SCT and am loving it so far i had a tuner blow my car up and have been screwed by 2 other tuners in indianapolis. so i guess unless you have a known good track record tuning, best do it yourself!
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:06 pm

richard i believe i know the station ur talking about and that racing fuel is Leaded which will definitely kill your O2 sensors. not to mention that the nozzle on the pump is larger and will not allow you to fill it up. I run a mix of 93 and 110 in mine but needs to be tuned for the summer now due to the hotter weather. Check out the FAST XFi for a tuner. Playing with ur timing will give you a little bit more power but dont overdo it or youll be replacing a lot of expensive parts. I generally keep my timing around 14-16 with the spout connector out which usually gives me around 28-30 deg. total timing. if you get a tuner I can help you do it but its best to do it on a dyno. My buddy has a dyno in gilbert and he's a bit cheaper than CPR

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Hell yeah definitely want to check him out. I'll talk with you some more Friday.
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:37 pm

The nozzle is probably bigger because it is illegal to pump racing fuel directly into a vehicle there is no Road Tax on Racing Fuel therefore big brother is not getting there cut. The stations around me will not even let you pump it into a car on a trailer
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitz Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Tim thats prolly because they know you. hahaha
Blitz
Blitz
Small Block 302