WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blown out Spark Plug on 01 GT - Performance Shop Recommendations

2 posters

Go down

Blown out Spark Plug on 01 GT - Performance Shop Recommendations Empty Blown out Spark Plug on 01 GT - Performance Shop Recommendations

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Driving home yesterday I had one of the spark plugs blow out of my cylinder head.

It's a 2001 GT with the 2V 4.6L engine. Reading other forums, it appears this is not an uncommon problem.

The issue is it also damaged the threads in the aluminum head. Now my choices are to either replace the head (read expensive) or try to repair the head with some sort of insert, like the time-sert.

I am looking for anyone who has tried to have the cylinder head repaired locally.

Are there any performance shops in the Murfreesboro area that you could recommend I talk with about repairing this head before I spend the money on a head?

Thanks.

Brian

Back to top Go down

Blown out Spark Plug on 01 GT - Performance Shop Recommendations Empty Re: Blown out Spark Plug on 01 GT - Performance Shop Recommendations

Post by blackstang1 Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:26 am

Brian... that is an easy fix. Go to any auto parts store.. Get a plug rethread kit. and it will fix u right up.

i too have an 01 gt. I just incountered this problem about a month ago.
blackstang1
blackstang1
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 580
Humor : when life gives you lemons.. dont make lemonade.. Throw them at someone.. Its funny and it makes you feel better.
My Name: : TONY
My Ride/Rides: : 2001 MUSTANG GT
Mods: : A FEW...

Back to top Go down

Blown out Spark Plug on 01 GT - Performance Shop Recommendations Empty Re: Blown out Spark Plug on 01 GT - Performance Shop Recommendations

Post by ljwhite174 Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:59 am

brian.. blackstang is right you can go to any parts store and they can get you hooked up. try advanced auto. you might also want to look and see what caused it to do that and make sure there is no other damage other then the damage to the threads. make sure to check your coil and anything that was in the path of the plug when it blew out.. if you cant find anything then go with the thread repair kit and it should work out for ya. keep us updated with anyother questions there are plenty of us on here that can help...good luck
ljwhite174
ljwhite174
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 501
Humor : I wonder if that honda burns white or fried rice???
My Name: : larry
My Ride/Rides: : 2003 white GT vert
Mods: : none yet

https://www.facebook.com/wildhorses.clarksvilletnchapter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for the quick feedback.

With the aluminum head, will a re-thread kit work?

I've read online about a few insert kits - like the Time-Sert or CalVan 38900.

Brian

Back to top Go down

Post by blackstang1 Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:27 am

yep... like i said... i just cured this issue on mine about a month ago.
blackstang1
blackstang1
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 580
Humor : when life gives you lemons.. dont make lemonade.. Throw them at someone.. Its funny and it makes you feel better.
My Name: : TONY
My Ride/Rides: : 2001 MUSTANG GT
Mods: : A FEW...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:54 pm

I decided to buy a kit to fix this myself. I didn't want to use a helicoil as I've heard many have had these simply blow out again.

I bought a Calvan 38900 insert kit (see link below). I liked the size of the insert and had not heard of anyone having a problem after using it.

CalVan Tools Ford Spark Plug Insert Installer CAL 38900

It took me about 3 hours to complete the repair. I really took my time, and also had to remove the fuel rail to get a straight shot into the cylinder to drill and then tap the hole, but I left the head on the engine. I used an air compressor and flexible hose to blow out all the shavings in the cylinder.

I just finished this Friday, but I drove the car today without any problems. I expect it will hold up.

The kit cost less than $300.

Brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down