WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alright guys I need some advice!!!!!!

Go down

Alright guys I need some advice!!!!!! Empty Alright guys I need some advice!!!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:10 pm

So i blow the motor in my stang and then buy everything to rebuild it a again just to find out my block is cracked. banghead Granted I can by a block for a couple hundred but i have a cleveland sitting in the garage with the heads down. Idea The problem is i dumped alot of money into that 302 such as x303 cam, holley systemax f.i. intake, headers, roller rockers, nitrous...... so on and so forth. Basically all the bells and whistles. shrug Now if i can sell that stuff i can afford to do the cleveland but is it worth it? confused

Back to top Go down

Alright guys I need some advice!!!!!! Empty Re: Alright guys I need some advice!!!!!!

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:28 pm

bryan51980 wrote:So i blow the motor in my stang and then buy everything to rebuild it a again just to find out my block is cracked. banghead Granted I can by a block for a couple hundred but i have a cleveland sitting in the garage with the heads down. Idea The problem is i dumped alot of money into that 302 such as x303 cam, holley systemax f.i. intake, headers, roller rockers, nitrous...... so on and so forth. Basically all the bells and whistles. shrug Now if i can sell that stuff i can afford to do the cleveland but is it worth it? confused

I built a pretty tough cleveland for my 69 Mach1. Problem with the cleveland is there is an inherent oiling issue to the top end, specifically to the cam bearings and rockers. There is a kit which has a plate that goes behind the oil filter and feeds extra pressure to the top end via the oil presssure switch location.

That said the cleveland is basically a truck engine designed for gobs of torque. It depends what you want as an end result.

Back to top Go down

Alright guys I need some advice!!!!!! Empty Re: Alright guys I need some advice!!!!!!

Post by Wolvee Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:24 pm

A Cleveland for the average builder, is just as good as any Windsor in my book. 4-500hp is as easy as peanut butter and jelly with either one. Find a good shop and have them price out a good build list for you. Have them do the machining and you do the assembly.

If you have the money, think about an external oiling pump.
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1711
Humor : "I have nothing to declare but my genius."
My Name: : Mike
My Ride/Rides: : 01 F150
Mods: : 35's, 3" Body lift, soon to have a new 5.4 w/ some goodies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=2525263

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Thanks guys. I have decided to sell the cleveland and just replace the 302 block since i just bought everything i needed to do it. I am having problems finding just the block. Hell even the local junk yard is out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:36 am

You can get one at Pull-A-Parts in Nashville for $150. Problem is you have to pull it yourself. Just take the time to spin it over with a breaker bar to insure it is free, check the rocker covers for signs of moisture and look at the dipstick to see if it is pitted from rust (they drain the oil, but you can still get an idea of condition). There are a few other things you can look at if you feel like pulling a valve cover etc such as sludge build up. Look for a vehicle that was wrecked as it was probably running and sent there due to accident damage. They do have a warranty if you pulll it down and see a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks for the advice! I really apreciate it. I did just get done rebuilding the 302 and so far so good. I just beat a 97 cobra by a 1/2 car. I dont know what he had done but it was a good race. That cleveland will be built once i get back from my next deployment. I found a company that sells a adapter kit to put a 302 intake onto the cleveland so i can keep my fuel injection and just get a program done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down