WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question?????

+5
Wolvee
Shady
GreyGhost
BraMas
scstanger
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Question????? - Page 2 Empty Re: Question?????

Post by scstanger Fri May 13, 2011 8:37 pm

I know that I didn't have 9 qts in mine! I'm thinking that the d*mn sensor just went bad and started leaking. It didn't seem like that much oil came out of my car when I drained it. I will add the other qt but the stick does show full with 5. I read that Romeo motors need 6 and Windsor motors need 5, any ideas about that?
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1175
Humor : In every situation!
My Name: : Richard
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 Roush Stage 1
Mods: : Roush CAI, BBK 70mm TB with Trickflow Aluminum Intake manifold and plenum, Magnaflow X and shorty mufflers, SCT Tune, 8000k HID Headlights and FOGS

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Fri May 13, 2011 9:54 pm

I'd take the dipsticks word for it (I don't mean Tim, lol)
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyGhost Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Danstang wrote:I'd take the dipsticks word for it (I don't mean Tim, lol)

NICE! And well said, Dan! lol2 thatfunny

GreyGhost

Number of posts : 898

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Sat May 14, 2011 8:59 am

You guys do what you want but it is a common know fact that the 4.6 needs 6 qts and that Ford has a tsb to that effect. I'm just giving out my knowledge take it or ignore it not my engine so it doesnt hurt me at all Very Happy
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by Eturner Sat May 14, 2011 11:59 am

Mine says to put some thing like 5.5 quarts in. I just round it up to an even six. Most engines out there you can put more in than what they recommend. Usually at least by a quart or two. I use to put 7 in my Monte-Carlo and it actually called for just 6.
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 970
Humor : Yes it's fast.....No you can't drive it!!!
My Name: : ED
My Ride/Rides: : 2004 MUSTANG GT......40th ANNV.
Mods: : INTAKE, PULLLYS, TUNE, AND A CHERRY-BOMB VORTEX CAT BACK SYSTEM.....MACH 1 CHIN SPOILER, SOME DECALS AND INTERIOR PEICES TOO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eturner Sat May 14, 2011 12:07 pm

BraMas wrote:I'm pretty sure you need 6qts. Your book might say 5 and you might show full but Ford changed the requirements because they found oil starvation problems going around corners. Trust me you will be ok with 6 I put 7qts in for my oil changes. I have seen a oil pan test where someone put 9qts in a 4.6 oil pan and it was still not over flowing the oil pan

Just a bit curious... Why do you use 7 if 6 will do?...
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 970
Humor : Yes it's fast.....No you can't drive it!!!
My Name: : ED
My Ride/Rides: : 2004 MUSTANG GT......40th ANNV.
Mods: : INTAKE, PULLLYS, TUNE, AND A CHERRY-BOMB VORTEX CAT BACK SYSTEM.....MACH 1 CHIN SPOILER, SOME DECALS AND INTERIOR PEICES TOO.

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Sat May 14, 2011 6:01 pm

I put 7 in because of what I use my car for Between AutoX and Open Track days my car spends allot of time in corners and I know it wont ever starve for oil with 7qts in it. Just piece of mind and insurance for me.
And like I said in that post I know the oil pan can take allot more oil and the Crank in a 4.6 does not go into the oil pan so there is no way the oil will foam up. That is one of the main reasons you do not put to much oil in a Push rod motor if the oil foams up from the crank splashing through the oil and the foamy oil can get sucked up and starve the motor of oil
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Sun May 15, 2011 12:33 pm

I had and oil change done back when I first got the car and they only put 5qts in it. Didn't notice it until I looked at the bill when I stopped to get gas right after and I was a qt low. They added a qt to correct it, but were confused because their info showed the car needed 5qts. I suppose they corrected it since then....I hope.
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Krutch21 Sun May 15, 2011 1:02 pm

I'm now going with and sticking to 5w30 in the cobra. I never let the oil get low and i still spun a bearing. after talking with the guys at Modular Depot who are replacing my engine, they have seen this problem a lot in the cobra and 4.6L mods that have been upgraded and are pushing a lot of HP. So it's 5w30 in the car from now on cuz i don't want to have to call MMR for another shortblock again lol.
Krutch21
Krutch21
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 469
My Name: : T.J
My Ride/Rides: : 04 Mystichrome Cobra

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Mon May 16, 2011 8:32 am

Oil....check
Gauge corrected....check
All leaks stopped....still checking
lesson learned....check

3gears
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Mods: : Roush CAI, BBK 70mm TB with Trickflow Aluminum Intake manifold and plenum, Magnaflow X and shorty mufflers, SCT Tune, 8000k HID Headlights and FOGS

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Thu May 19, 2011 8:15 am

Well the gauge is fixed and still no dripping so I think the issue has been resolved. I don't think that there was too much oil in it, I think that the oil pressure sensor just crapped out. I measured the oil that came out and it was about 5.25qts and it leaked for only a few miles of driving so I didn't drown it in oil. Still running strong and leaving the pack so I think she's ok. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Thu May 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Did you up it to 6qts?
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Thu May 19, 2011 6:26 pm

BraMas wrote:Did you up it to 6qts?

It's at about 5.75 qts. I filled it to a little over the full line. I was a little gun shy when adding the oil this time!
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Thu May 19, 2011 9:04 pm

OK I'll find the TSB info you need so you can fell better about the 6qts
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Thu May 19, 2011 11:13 pm

HAHAHA! Sounds good Tim thanks!
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Fri May 20, 2011 1:42 pm

OK I was wrong about the TSB but Ford changed the owners manual in 2002 to read 6qts. The following is a from a member on Mustang Forums. You can go to the 2002 owners manual and see the change for yourself. Hopefully this is enough for you to trust me.banghead

"It was not in a TSB that I am aware, however if you look in the owner's manuals https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp you can see that it was changed in 2002.

2001 spec:
Question????? - Page 2 2001OilSpec

2002 spec:
Question????? - Page 2 2002OilSpec

The recommended quantity and the dipstick markings are all that was changed. The pans are identical, this has been verified by a number of fellow forum members having first hand knowledge of the pre-2002 and later engines.

Ford changed the recommended engine fill in late 2001 from 5 to 6 qts in response to 3rd party tests that revealed oil starvation during high-G turns. I had a link to the study at one time however it's dead now--I should have downloaded the page..."
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Fri May 20, 2011 3:36 pm

I think this says that all 4.6 mod motors should have six qts since they're basically the same motors. For your peace of mind Tim I added the other .25 qt this afternoon! Just kidding partner, thanks for all of the info. Hopefully I wont have any more oil trouble!
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2