WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question?????

+5
Wolvee
Shady
GreyGhost
BraMas
scstanger
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Question????? Empty Question?????

Post by scstanger Wed May 04, 2011 10:38 am

Ok gang I'm coming to you for help again. My car started making a ticking sound, no it's not knocking, when I would start it for about a second and would then quit like the lifters or something like that shrug . This started about two days ago and I noticed that if I didn't let it sit too long it wouldn't do it, like going into a store for a few minutes, but after any length of time it would do it again. So yesterday when I got home I decided to check the oil and it's just barely touching the stick! I just changed the oil about 4k miles ago and I use the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic extended performance 15k mile oil. I bought some oil this morning to fill it back up but I don't understand what is happening to the oil. The car doesn't leak anywhere and it doesn't turn the pipes black anymore so it doesn't seem to be burning oil that I can see. Where else could the oil be going? I talked with my Dad last night who said that his truck is the same way with Mobil 1 oil. He uses the same oil and will add 2qt's between oil changes and his truck doesn't leak either. Has anyone else had this issue with Mobil 1 or any other synthetic oil? What are some areas that I could check for possible unknown problems? The car runs great and doesn't seem to have any issues banghead . I was afraid that 10 years of sitting most of the time to becoming a daily driver would create problems, could this be part of the issue? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks everybody.
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1175
Humor : In every situation!
My Name: : Richard
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 Roush Stage 1
Mods: : Roush CAI, BBK 70mm TB with Trickflow Aluminum Intake manifold and plenum, Magnaflow X and shorty mufflers, SCT Tune, 8000k HID Headlights and FOGS

Back to top Go down

Question????? Empty Re: Question?????

Post by BraMas Wed May 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak. A small one can sound like a engine tick
Maybe your timing chain tensioner this also makes a ticking sound.
and you probably are burning oil but nothing that bad if you are not noticing it. If your car sat allot in it previous life your valve seals could be letting a little oil by. I'm in need of valve seals on my car and adding Lucus oil to my mobil 1 helps greatly. My car will smoke on start up and when I get on it for the first time but with Lucus in the oil I get no smoke at start up and no puff of smoke when I get on it.
If it does not seem to get worse I wouldn't sweat it. just my .02
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Wed May 04, 2011 6:53 pm

I added oil today and haven't started it since. The tick immediately went away before adding the oil though. It would only last about a second and would quit. The car has 55k miles so it shouldn't be burning oil too badly. I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets worse. I'll keep you guys posted about the sound and consumption....
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Mods: : Roush CAI, BBK 70mm TB with Trickflow Aluminum Intake manifold and plenum, Magnaflow X and shorty mufflers, SCT Tune, 8000k HID Headlights and FOGS

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyGhost Wed May 04, 2011 7:14 pm

My wife's Kia did something like that. We changed the oil from the winter blend 5w-30 back to a summer blend 10w-40 and now it don't do it anymore. It might be the oil is too thin when it gets hot and drains down into the pan. And takes a minute to get back up to the lifters after it cools down. my2cents

GreyGhost

Number of posts : 898

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Yeah as for the small tick it sounds like just taking a second to get the oil up into the engine. As for the "missing oil", didn't you say the car was parked for a while and that is why the guy sold it? if so and your ambitious you could change the seals, or if your lazy just run thicker oil LOL. I tried running Quaker State PowerQ 5w-30 one time and my car went through oil pretty bad so i switched to Valvoline high mileage 10w-40 and haven't had to add oil since...

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyGhost Wed May 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Shady wrote:Yeah as for the small tick it sounds like just taking a second to get the oil up into the engine. As for the "missing oil", didn't you say the car was parked for a while and that is why the guy sold it? if so and your ambitious you could change the seals, or if your lazy just run thicker oil LOL. I tried running Quaker State PowerQ 5w-30 one time and my car went through oil pretty bad so i switched to Valvoline high mileage 10w-40 and haven't had to add oil since...

And also if the oil is too thin when hot it burn more easily. iagree

GreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Wed May 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks guys. I'm thinking that I will just change the oil and refill it with 10W-40 and see what happens.
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvee Wed May 04, 2011 9:00 pm

GreyGhost wrote:My wife's Kia did something like that. We changed the oil from the winter blend 5w-30 back to a summer blend 10w-40 and now it don't do it anymore. It might be the oil is too thin when it gets hot and drains down into the pan. And takes a minute to get back up to the lifters after it cools down. my2cents

Why would you use a thick -40 weight oil like that? You are just asking for trouble. 5w20 and 5w30 are the heaviest weight oils needed for a modern car engine. The tolerances are just too tight for that kind of oil.
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1711
Humor : "I have nothing to declare but my genius."
My Name: : Mike
My Ride/Rides: : 01 F150
Mods: : 35's, 3" Body lift, soon to have a new 5.4 w/ some goodies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=2525263

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvee Wed May 04, 2011 9:05 pm

scstanger wrote:Thanks guys. I'm thinking that I will just change the oil and refill it with 10W-40 and see what happens.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -40 is too thick.

Here is some light reading for you all.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xVX2PLxyYwU1ltTutPgMtiqdnfGfGpqibO6dSfB3PGc/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKzOxZoE#
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1711
Humor : "I have nothing to declare but my genius."
My Name: : Mike
My Ride/Rides: : 01 F150
Mods: : 35's, 3" Body lift, soon to have a new 5.4 w/ some goodies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=2525263

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Wed May 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Ok ok! I wont change the oil! Mike you're a trip man and thank you for the "light reading"! Frank and the gang, I'm just going to keep checking it to see how much its consuming. Like I said I haven't tried to start it since I added the oil to it and I'm at work so it's not an option tonight. I'll try tomorrow and see what happens and post an update. Thanks for the info everybody!!
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Thu May 05, 2011 2:24 am

I wouldn't worry too much there Richard, just keep using your normal oil and check it often. I usually use nearly a quart every 4-5k w/ 5w-20, but I'm up to 225,500 miles on mine.
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

Post by FRCE_FED Thu May 05, 2011 2:44 am

Danstang wrote:I wouldn't worry too much there Richard, just keep using your normal oil and check it often. I usually use nearly a quart every 4-5k w/ 5w-20, but I'm up to 225,500 miles on mine.

you and tyara have the mileage king and queens of the group! mustang mileage FTW, although my built v6 has a little over 1500 miles and i fear it will break anyday Sad
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyGhost Thu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Richard, What I was trying to say is your problem may be as simple as having a oil change. One car is diferent to another, even year to year. If you change your oil PLEASE check and use the recomended oil for your year,model,engine.

GreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 pm

GreyGhost wrote:Richard, What I was trying to say is your problem may be as simple as having a oil change. One car is diferent to another, even year to year. If you change your oil PLEASE check and use the recomended oil for your year,model,engine.

Got it, thanks. Of course it made the sound when I started it today because I had just added the oil and had not started it since. I drove it to work tonight so we'll see what happens when I go to leave.
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Lucas! Lucas! Lucas! beerchug
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Fri May 06, 2011 7:53 am

The oil seems to have corrected the start up tick! cheers

I'm going to keep my eye on it and see what happens from now on. If it keeps consuming oil in this manner then I'll add Lucas to it and go from there.
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Fri May 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Yeah the car just seems to run differently now....better. Picky girls they are!
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Thu May 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Ok now I have big problems. After adding oil I believe that I've added too much and my car is now leaking like I've hit a bleeder or something. I put it on the ramps yesterday and drained the oil out of it today. I'm going to get new oil and filter either today or tomorrow and just start over. I'm hoping that it's leaking from around the filter but I can't really tell. It's not coming from the heads or valve covers, it's definitely coming from the bottom of the engine. It may be the oil pan but I just cant tell. It doesn't leak constantly so it's a pressure related leak. None dripped over night. What weight oil should I get and brand? I'm up for suggestions. The car has 55k miles but sat for most of its life. Wouldn't you know as soon as I sell the convertible the Roush breaks down! banghead
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Thu May 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Ok I believe that I blew out the oil pressure switch and this is where the oil is coming from, not the filter. All of the oil seems to generate from this area and there was oil all in the plastic connector.

New question:
How likely is it that this is what happened? Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? It looks like the pressure sensor is hollow with a wire connector on the outside end therefore being completely plausible that this is my issue. Any words gang?

Thanks for the insight Frank, what do you think about the above?
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Thu May 12, 2011 6:12 pm

The gauge is non functional and hasn't been since I bought the car. I replaced the sensor a few weeks ago and still nothing on the cluster. I think that either the gauge is bad or the needle is stuck. The previous owner put the white gauges in so who knows. I'm planning on getting a new sensor tomorrow with the oil and filter so I'll post an update then. Anyone else ever heard of this?
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FRCE_FED Fri May 13, 2011 2:10 am

Those needles are real touchy I sanded my back panel so light would shine through and replaced the bulbs with red led's. I had to triple check that the real panel was seated real well cause a few gauges hit, love the finished work though
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Fri May 13, 2011 8:06 am

The gauge issue is on my "to do" list this weekend. The computer reccommends 5w-20 oil, any objections?
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyGhost Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 am

scstanger wrote:The gauge issue is on my "to do" list this weekend. The computer reccommends 5w-20 oil, any objections?

If thats what oil your car recomends, then thats what I would use.

GreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Fri May 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Ok I've put everything back together and put 5qts of Mobil1 5W20. I am going to keep my eye on the leak situation and see what happens. I will keep you guys posted about what happens. Thanks everybody.
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Fri May 13, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm pretty sure you need 6qts. Your book might say 5 and you might show full but Ford changed the requirements because they found oil starvation problems going around corners. Trust me you will be ok with 6 I put 7qts in for my oil changes. I have seen a oil pan test where someone put 9qts in a 4.6 oil pan and it was still not over flowing the oil pan
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next