WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mods on my car

5 posters

Go down

mods on my car Empty mods on my car

Post by julianconde Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:27 pm

i have a 1997 mustang GT conv. all stock what can i do to get some more horsepower and where can i get these parts from ??

julian

julianconde
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Male Number of posts : 21
My Name: : Julian
My Ride/Rides: : 1997 Ford Mustang Conv, Black
Mods: : Altezza Tail Lights, Halo Headlights,LED 3rd Brake Light..

Back to top Go down

mods on my car Empty Re: mods on my car

Post by Shady Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:13 pm

to get the most bang for your buck i recommend nitrous... Nytrex (one of our sponsors) has their triple threat system... it can be set from anywhere from 35HP-250HP. They list it at $1,085 but with our discount i think i only paid just over $600 shipped to my door... If you go to our main page (http://www.wildhorsesclub.net) and click on the Nytrex banner towards the bottom you can check out all their products... make sure to send them an email and let them know you are with wildhorses to see what kind of discount they can hook you up with...

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by julianconde Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:36 pm

any other mods ? im not a big fan of nitrous oxide damages engines if not used properly lol

julianconde
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:23 am

One of the first things anyone with a 96/98 Gt is do a PI swap. That is swapping the heads and intake from a 99/04 GT. There is almost no point in doing any mods to a NPI engine
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Gears and exhaust are fun... Common exhaust seems to be a BBK off road H pipe, with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers... as far as gears, usually they say 3.73's for manual trans and 4.10's for automatics...

Shady
Admin

Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by julianconde Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:10 pm

K thanks for the info. Anyone else

Julian

julianconde
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Eturner Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:19 pm

Start with the basics first. Such as the intake and exhaust and a tuner. Those things there will net you the same gains as a PI swap will, and it will cost alot less.
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 970
Humor : Yes it's fast.....No you can't drive it!!!
My Name: : ED
My Ride/Rides: : 2004 MUSTANG GT......40th ANNV.
Mods: : INTAKE, PULLLYS, TUNE, AND A CHERRY-BOMB VORTEX CAT BACK SYSTEM.....MACH 1 CHIN SPOILER, SOME DECALS AND INTERIOR PEICES TOO.

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Eturner wrote:Start with the basics first. Such as the intake and exhaust and a tuner. Those things there will net you the same gains as a PI swap will, and it will cost alot less.
Don't believe those BS HP claims made by manufactures. Putting any $ into a NPI it just a waist of $ this is a well established fact in the Mustang community not an opinion
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by julianconde Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:53 pm

What you hits mean by PI ?? just currious

julianconde
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:35 pm

NPI is 96/98 4.6L heads
PI is 99/04 4.6L heads
NPI= Non Performance Improved
PI = Performance Improved
basically it is putting heads and intake from a 99/04 GT onto a 96/98 GT engine
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eturner Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:25 pm

BraMas wrote:
Eturner wrote:Start with the basics first. Such as the intake and exhaust and a tuner. Those things there will net you the same gains as a PI swap will, and it will cost alot less.
Don't believe those BS HP claims made by manufactures. Putting any $ into a NPI it just a waist of $ this is a well established fact in the Mustang community not an opinion

No offense to any one. But first off, yes the HP #s that they post is usually a bit higher than most will see. And that's just because the cars that they tend to test their products on are well maintained. On the other hand too every little bit does help. Secoundly sounds like people here wants to see some one who sounds to be bit of a novice and go straight to the PI swap and Nitrous. Two things that are alot more complicated and if not done right will cost you twice as much in the end. It is wise to start with the basics when you are new to some thing then learn your way from there. You don't need any special tools, knowledge, or experience to bolt on a CAI, or a cat back exhaust, or to plug in a hand held tuner. They are so easy to install that any novice that can read and turn a wrench can do them selves. In short I want to see people that are new to the hobby learn all that they need to know before jumping in and before you know they are in over their head.
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Mods: : INTAKE, PULLLYS, TUNE, AND A CHERRY-BOMB VORTEX CAT BACK SYSTEM.....MACH 1 CHIN SPOILER, SOME DECALS AND INTERIOR PEICES TOO.

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Ed stating that exhaust and intake will net the same HP gain as doing a PI swap is bad info.
I understand you wanting him to start small but nowhere in any of his post does he state that he knows nothing and can only handle bolting on an exhaust and CAI. He said he wanted more HP from his car and Rick and I gave him options on our experience with NPI GT's. They are slow and don't respond to the mods like your PI GT.
Rick has exhaust,CAI and NOS and his car went low 14's in the 1/4. A stock 99/04 PI GT should do 14.00
Do I agree he should do Exhaust,tuner,and CAI? Hell yes he should
Will he see that big of a gain on a NPI motor? Hell no
In the end it his his $ hopefully he spends it wisely
If you want the best seat of the pants fell get gears!!!!!
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eturner Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:57 pm

He said his car is all stock and then he asks how to get more power?... Some one tells that to me and I tell them to start with the basics first. Just by him stating those two things makes me think that he is new to this. For all we know he might be a pro at it. I'm just saying when some body says things like that I tell them to start with the basics first, no mater what car they drive.
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Riley Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:57 pm

First what State are you in and what are the laws you have in that state. The most bang you can get from a mod is a turbo or supercharger, I have a Vortech V3 and I get well over 100+ horses, however it cost me about 5000-6000 to have it done. If you just want simple additional power go with small changes; exhaust should be changed and the intake can be changed, a cold air kit can help. it depends on what you want to spend. They are right about changing the intake to the newer year stuff but that is not cheap. First figure out what you want to spend. Make sure you know the pollution laws and what the State is going to look at. It also depends on the age and condition of your car. If the car is in very good shape its is hard to spend money and toss away perfectly good parts. If the motor is very old and used up (high milage) then you can consider changing the intake and heads if you are going to rebuild the motor or swap it out. You also need to consider what will fit under the hood and so on. What are you looking to spend and how much H.P. do you want or expect? Also, consider that there is nothing wrong with the car just the way it is. A lot of people want a stock Mustang if you start to go crazy with mods you might actually hurt its value, make sure you save all the old parts. I agree start simple and be careful who you let touch the car. Get a great shop and watch what they are doing. It is important if you get some major mods that they are done right and the car runs right. For simple do it yourself stuff stay with simple bolt ons like K&N Air cleaners and cold air intakes. Exhaust is always good as well. Don't expect to much from simple bolt ons!

Frank Riley
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Male Number of posts : 243

http://wildhorsesmustangassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by julianconde Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:15 pm

Well in TN we don't do pollution test. I know for a fact changing to better heads,intake, throttle body, cold air intake, exaust, turbo or supercharged with upgraded injectors and fuel pump and a computer chip upgrade will give you power. I want work my way up there but in what order shoul I start. The supercharger I know woull Be the last thing. My car has 141000 miles on it right now an it's a automatic.
How much horsepower who knows I'm not planning of making it a race car if I did I'll put a crate motor and get that over with. Just something to where I can go fast if I wanted to and have plenty of power. It's been a few years since I ot back into mustangs so I was looking for someones personal opinion.
Plus where can I find the best prices in the market.

Julian

julianconde
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:36 pm

sorry guys i'm just not sold on CAI... if i'm spending money on "mods" i want to either see or feel what my money got me and CAI didn't do that for me... Gears are great and you definately feel it, exhaust sounds great and you can usually feel it a little bit, Nitrous was $600 and got me 75HP (soon to be 125HP). I agree with Tim on PI heads... if you watch you can get PI heads a heck of a lot cheaper than a CAI ($247 through K&N) Exhaust ($149 for off-road H-pipe plus $419 for catback system through BBK) and a Tuner ($379.99 for an SCT tuner) thats almost $1200 and your not gonna see that much of a gain.. you can get Ford Racing PI heads for $800 through LateModelResto...

Shady
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 pm

julianconde wrote:Well in TN we don't do pollution test. I know for a fact changing to better heads,intake, throttle body, cold air intake, exaust, turbo or supercharged with upgraded injectors and fuel pump and a computer chip upgrade will give you power. I want work my way up there but in what order shoul I start. The supercharger I know woull Be the last thing. My car has 141000 miles on it right now an it's a automatic.
How much horsepower who knows I'm not planning of making it a race car if I did I'll put a crate motor and get that over with. Just something to where I can go fast if I wanted to and have plenty of power. It's been a few years since I ot back into mustangs so I was looking for someones personal opinion.
Plus where can I find the best prices in the market.

Julian
i really haven't found one place that has the best prices on everything it seems sorta hit and miss... best bet is to just figure out what you want to buy and then start checking all the different places. LateModelResto.com is a great place to start in my opinion....

Shady
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by julianconde Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:42 pm

thanks shady i appreciate it

julianconde
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Riley Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Okay, here is an important thought. there is no reason to go out and buy some bolt on if you are going to keep on going with more mods. Here is the reason, if you are going to buy the supercharger you may as well not buy a cold air intake kit or even the K&N air cleaner. The supercharger kit comes with its own intake system (air cleaner), new fual system everything required to keep the supercharged motor happy including a completely new computer tune. If you are not going to buy the supercharger I would do this. First add at least a better flowing exhaust. Depending on how much money you have a complete new performance exhaust would be best, because your State does not care about pollution you can dump even the Cats and go for broke on this end. You can then get a better throttle body and cold air intake with filter. Mass Air sensor can be upgraded. You might also get new coils and spark plug wires that are going to get you a much better spark. You could change the Heads and Intake but that cost a lot so decide how much you want to spend. You might consider an after market drive shaft aluminum to drop the weight. Dropping weight helps. The two most important things are this open up the intake to larger better flowing system and open the exhuast so it flows better. All this is basic and everyone does it.
As for companies here are some:
First go to the magazine rack at the store there are several amazing Mustang Mags that have tons of parts companies in them specializing in Mustangs;
AmericanMuscle.com
LatemodelRestoration.com
SCT for tunes
Exhaust buy direct...
Here are the companies I have used: Vortech, K&N, SCT, Falken Tires, RC injectors, I am running the ford SVT Focus Fuel Pump...
There are so many different companies sometimes the options can be difficult to handle get your hands on some of those Mustang Magazines and check out the companies and prices. It seems every month there is some new parts coming out.
Be brave and be careful.
One last point, your motor has a lot of miles on it, you might just consider keeping the mods simple for now until you can afford a rebuild or motor swap. No reason to change heads and the intake until you are ready to take care of the overall high milage. And at this point I would not consider supercharging an old motor because it is silly to do so until the motor is new. As for Nitrous stay away from the GAS NITRO, that is the fastest way to screw up your motor completely, that stuff will burn the parts inside really bad and it shortens the life of your motor. As you said you are not racing. Just enjoy the car and add some simple changes, exhaust and cold air intake kit with a K&N sounds perfect for you for now. Its an old motor don't push it so hard. Think about the car as an old person at this point, would you force a 80 year old guy to run a hard mile, it might kick the bucket. Treat it nice and it might make 200,000.

Frank Riley
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Male Number of posts : 243

http://wildhorsesmustangassociation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by julianconde Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:49 pm

thanks for your imput i appreaciate it

julianconde
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down