WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some input on painting a car (MAACO)

+3
GearedRed6
Wolvee
wingedone
7 posters

Go down

Need some input on painting a car (MAACO) Empty Need some input on painting a car (MAACO)

Post by wingedone Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:33 pm

Anyone here have direct experience with MAACO in Lansing, MI?

We had Mike at Eaton Auto Body give us an estimate on the Country Sedan. $5500. Oye. I cannot spend twice the amount I bought the car for, for paint and minor body work. Even getting the car stripped for paint, I am pretty sure we are near $3500 just for body work and paint. Now Mike does really nice work and has been excellent to work with, but I just cannot justify this for a non-show car.

I just want a good 10ft car, a driver.

And I don't want the car out of commission next spring/summer for weeks/months at a time.

I cannot paint it myself. I suck at that.

Discuss.
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 540
Humor : George Carlin, Bill Maher, Lewis Black
My Name: : Thomas
My Ride/Rides: : 1969 Thunderbird, 1969 Camaro, 1993 GoldWing

Back to top Go down

Need some input on painting a car (MAACO) Empty Re: Need some input on painting a car (MAACO)

Post by Wolvee Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Macco paint jobs suck no matter which way you try and swing it. The painters are just qualified enough to paint a tractor or a barn door. There purpose is to spit out as many cars as possible. And lets not talk about the materials they use. Crappy clears that is impossible to look anything better than the 30+ year old paint it's replacing.

I was happier with my 30 year old novas paint more than I was with my 1 year old Macco paint.

Call my painter. His name is Scott, he is in Davison, Michigan 810-569-0417 Tell him Mike with the 96 mustang told you to call.

It wouldn't be fair to him to give you an exact price for my paint job but it was very fair.
Need some input on painting a car (MAACO) DSCF0040
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1711
Humor : "I have nothing to declare but my genius."
My Name: : Mike
My Ride/Rides: : 01 F150
Mods: : 35's, 3" Body lift, soon to have a new 5.4 w/ some goodies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=2525263

Back to top Go down

Need some input on painting a car (MAACO) Empty Re: Need some input on painting a car (MAACO)

Post by GearedRed6 Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:02 pm

their is also the painter in dansville that did brads vert, as long as you dont want 3 colors and scallops he can have it done in 2 weekends and will do it for a very reasonable price.....he is painterdude here on the forums....hit him up
GearedRed6
GearedRed6
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Male Number of posts : 330
Humor : Red by day, Orange by night!
My Name: : George
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 4.2 V6 Mustang Red
Mods: : H/C/I and full bolt ons sitting on 315s

Back to top Go down

Post by wingedone Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for the input guys. I do need to get more estimates I know.

But with all the local guys here, nobody has had any direct or indirect dealings with Maaco of Lansing?
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvee Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:13 pm

just make sure you take off your license plate cause chances are they'll just mask it off and spray, lol. I've seen it happen.
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Back to top Go down

Post by wingedone Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Sxynerd wrote:just make sure you take off your license plate cause chances are they'll just mask it off and spray, lol. I've seen it happen.

Well at least they masked it off! LOL
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvee Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:21 pm

I've even seen them paint old school GM chrome GM door handles when they were supposed to at minimum mask them or take them off.

Can you imagine a 72 Monte Carlo that was supposed to be dark blue with a purple pearl that turned out just a shade draker than Barney purple and door handles that didn't work because the paint hardened around the button, lol.

My buddy was furious, they had to call the police on him.
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Back to top Go down

Post by wingedone Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Which Maaco was that?
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvee Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:17 pm

Victorville, Cali-fo-ni-a
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyGhost Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:35 pm

HEY I KNOW THOSE GUYS!!!! I delivered parts to them all the time when I worked for my buddys wrecking yard. banghead

GreyGhost

Number of posts : 898

Back to top Go down

Post by wingedone Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:34 am

GreyGhost wrote:HEY I KNOW THOSE GUYS!!!! I delivered parts to them all the time when I worked for my buddys wrecking yard. banghead

AND??????!!!!!!

Any comments on any work you have seen???????

toetap
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyGhost Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:40 pm

SORRY, I was talking about the shop in Victorville Ca. I didn't look too much at thier work. I know paint and body is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Embarassed

GreyGhost

Number of posts : 898

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvee Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Haha, Victorvile, lol. I bought my car from the crap dealership right down the road.
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Back to top Go down

Post by Black On Black Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:12 am

Cool If you want to do all the prep work and trailer it to them it will be ok, but as Mike said you will get what you pay for and will need paint again in 2 years. Thats planing that you will keep it as nice as you cobra. Sad
Black On Black
Black On Black
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1063
My Name: : Randy
My Ride/Rides: : 2009 GT Vert and new project 1984 Cutlass Supreme
Mods: : Mustang has Ford Hi-pro exhuast, Ford Racing Tune and ford Racing CAI. Cutlass has a 1979 403 in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by phrostygurl Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:35 pm

I used maaco 1x a few years ago and I WILL NEVER make that mistake again, the paint started chipping off bad . so NO dont go to them
phrostygurl
phrostygurl
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Female Number of posts : 418
Humor : Im PHROSTY for a reason ... but yall know you LUV me !!!! lol
My Name: : PHROSTY
My Ride/Rides: : 2003 GT Black and yes she is so sexxxy

http://www.myspace.com/phrostygurl

Back to top Go down

Post by wingedone Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:23 pm

No positive feedback. Sigh. Doesn't look good for MAACO. Damn.
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Back to top Go down

Post by PAINTERDUDE Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:03 pm

I have personally never had anything painted by Maaco. I applied there for a job about 12 years ago. The lansing location. I wanted to get my foot in the door as an autobody painter. The job was for a prep person. The person who does all of the dirty work masking stuff off filling dents priming and prepping for paint. I went in for an interview and discovered very fast that I was over qualified for the job.
I'm not bringing this up to brag about myself I am just saying that from what I had a chance to see and hear about them I would not want to work there. They are about getting it in and out fast. Quantity not quality. That is why your first estimate from a real bodyshop was so much. Real shops care about doing a quality job. A quality job takes lots of hours to do and Quality paint products. When you start getting into lots of hours the price goes up.
I can understand not wanting to tie your car up for months at a time but most guys working out of a garage at home have full time jobs and the weekends are the only time to really get into doing body and paint work. Again it all comes down to time. If you could find the best of both worlds and run across somebody working at home full time you may be able to get a complete job done for less and sooner than a month.
I have not seen your car but any complete paint job would not cost less than 2000.00 in my opinion. Your looking at 800.00 in supplies at least and 1200.00 for labor at least. Again just my opinion. If you had the bodywork done and were willing to help do the masking and prep work the actual spraying of the car might not be so bad to pay for. Time Time Time= money money money. Anywhere you can cut costs by doing it your self will help save you some money down the road. Hope this helps and doesn't sound too preachy, not my intent. HAVE A GOOD DAY.
PAINTERDUDE
PAINTERDUDE
Small Block 289
Small Block 289

Male Number of posts : 161
Humor : If you can read this, your too damn close.
My Name: : Lyle
My Ride/Rides: : 1996 Mustang GT
Mods: : Custon tri-coat silver and black paint. Marbelized racing stripes. Eibach 2 inch lowering springs.

Back to top Go down

Post by wingedone Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:19 pm

I appreciate the input painter dude. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

I have decided to sell my Honda Pacific Coast this spring to free up some cash, for whatever I do.
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down