WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Selecting a tune

3 posters

Go down

Selecting a tune Empty Selecting a tune

Post by Guest Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 am

So maybe I am to ambitions but i would like to not only build my car but tune it as well. I have done some looking around and was looking at the sct livewire but I am not sure how much you can change with it. Also with a price of about 550 it might be more beneficial to get a full tuning software for 750. Now i need some help I would like other peoples input and experience to help me. What do you use to tune and why?

Back to top Go down

Selecting a tune Empty Re: Selecting a tune

Post by Krutch21 Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:27 pm

I have a Diablo Sport Predator for mine. The main reason i have that one is because the club member I bought it from had to get a SCT to get his car tuned at Dynospeed in Memphis and they don't use Diablosport there. so he had this tuner for a Cobra laying around he couldn't use anymore. So when you decide on a tuner it's a good idea to see what shops use what type of tuning software so you don't have to buy a different one.

From what i've seen with the SCT Livewire is that one of the reasons it costs more than others is you can make your changes with it, and then you leave it mounted and it acts as your gauge monitor for your boost, air/fuel ratio and stuff like that. All the tuners basically run the same, your run the software, then it asks you stuff about your car, like gear ratio, bolt-ons you've installed, and stuff like that.

The way you tune your car up is dependent on what you plan to do with your car. Like putting pulleys on or a Different cold air. As you modify and put different stuff on your car you can use your tuner to adjust your cars operation to get the most out of the upgraded parts you've installed. Ultimately you'll want to get your car to a Dyno. Handheld tuners and the program software they have are all based off of research and power output of your cars make/model. but a Dyno tune is YOUR car. Having a hand held tuner is good to have when you take your car to the Dyno so that after your car has been tuned, they can program that tune and others into your handheld so you can make adjustments on the go with outhaving to go back to the dyno when you want to change your cars performance for different applications like a street tune, or a drag tune etc.

As for your how i use it question. to be more specific. I changed the blower pulley on my SC and put a 4 lb. lower pully which changed the the boost output from the factory 8lbs. to around 16-17lbs. So I had to put the Diablosports pulley tune in my car so that the car can compensate for the extra Air i'm forcing into the motor by telling the car to ad fuel. then i can take the tuner and add or take out some timing to make my car richer/leaner depending on how pasive or aggresive i want my tune to be.

When i go to Modular Depot next month to get on the Dyno. I plan to get my car tuned and get my tuner programmed with 3 tunes; Street tune, a drag racing tune, and a tune for when i throw a 75 shot of nitrous in it. then all i have to do is depending on what i'm doing, I can input the applicable tune into the car and run it.

Hope that helps a little
Krutch21
Krutch21
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 469
My Name: : T.J
My Ride/Rides: : 04 Mystichrome Cobra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for the information. I would still like to hear form other people though so anyone else.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1fstroush Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:33 am

Personally I prefer a Diablo Predator. It allows you to hold/store multiple tunes for your vehicle. It also has great ease of use and easy to use prompts.

I have tried the SCT and did not like it one bit. The livewire is overpriced for what it doesn't do. If it were to read a lot more engine specs including WB A/F and allow the user to select several different tunes it might be worth it.

But in all reality...It's the tune and the person tuning it that really matters. The handheld unit means nothing if the tune is sh!t.

AJ
1fstroush
1fstroush
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2099

http://www.myspace.com/1fstroush

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Have you looked into Sniper Tuning - Commando Tuning Software
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Krutch21 is dead on. Depending on how crazy you get with your mods you will eventually need a tuner to compensate for the extra air coming in and will need to add more fuel. Even just adding a Cold Air Kit it can throw your Air/Fuel ratio off. With minor mods like cold air and exhaust you can usually just get away with using a canned tune that is already in the tuner. But if you're going big then you need to get it onto a dyno and get a custom tune.
As for the different brands, I started out with the Predator which worked out ok until I hit 600hp then I started having little issues with hesitation during hard shifts so I switched to SCT XCAL3 and haven't had any problems since. SCT has more tuning parameters than the Predator that the Tuner can manipulate. But I would check the shop that will be doing your tuning and see what they work with or what they prefer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down