WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

98 4.6L DOHC COBRA engine over haul

3 posters

Go down

98 4.6L DOHC COBRA engine over haul Empty 98 4.6L DOHC COBRA engine over haul

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Hello fellow Mustang fans,

I am new to the site and was recommended by a friend to swing by for assistance on some question I have about rebuilding my engine. I am having Lou from Clarksville Automotive do my engine work. The question I could us some help on is that I am looking to upgrade the cam's. I am looking to make the cobra my track/street toy. Any suggestions on what to look for in way of the cam? Also I was wondering if that is done will it screw up my computer in the cobra? Also since I have the engine torn apart what other sugestions would improve my Hp? Was thinking of proting and polishing but unclear if the cost vs out put proformace is with the $. The trans is a new tk500 so that is already set. Just would like some input on what should be done. Last auto I upgrade was my 67 mustang when I was back in high school but that was 20 years ago and man how times have changed in those 20 years LOL.

Also looking for a good place for interior work. The cobra is my project car. Well at least when I am not in the litter box known as Iraq.

Anyways If anyone is free to shed some light on this, I would be more then greatful. If it gives cudo points to him Wayne was my bud that recommended me to you all.

V/R

Dan

Freedom is never free,
Fight for what you believe in,
Even if you stand alone!!!

Back to top Go down

98 4.6L DOHC COBRA engine over haul Empty Re: 98 4.6L DOHC COBRA engine over haul

Post by Krutch21 Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:24 pm

First of all, Welcome to the family!! Now about your questions. For cams, i've been lookin into a Cam upgrade for my cobra as well and for my Cobra and as far as performance/ cost goes i'll be getting a set of Crower stage 3 cams for mine. they are about $300 cheaper than Comp and have better lift and performance. Mike Stroud, another member and cobra owner has already asked the guys at Dynospeed and they swear by them. Now the stage 3's we want to get are for our terminators and there designed for supercharge/turbo'd engines. if you don't plan on putting in a blower they make a great stage 2 for that. AS far as the rest of the upgrade there's you standard boly-ons like pulley sets and CAI. Remember to check out the vendor forums on the main forum page for the sites like American muscle and Lethal Performance who give us Wildhorses discounts on these products. I hpe that helps a little and that should get you started on some stuff. Anyways gald you could drop a line and hope to see you at the meets!

TJ
Krutch21
Krutch21
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 469
My Name: : T.J
My Ride/Rides: : 04 Mystichrome Cobra

Back to top Go down

98 4.6L DOHC COBRA engine over haul Empty Re: 98 4.6L DOHC COBRA engine over haul

Post by blackstang1 Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:31 pm

as far as interior work..... show-n-shine customs on new providence blvd. I had my leather redone by smitty and i bought katzkin hand sewn real leather and smitty put it all in for just over 1000.00 so give him a call and tell him tony sent ya.
blackstang1
blackstang1
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 580
Humor : when life gives you lemons.. dont make lemonade.. Throw them at someone.. Its funny and it makes you feel better.
My Name: : TONY
My Ride/Rides: : 2001 MUSTANG GT
Mods: : A FEW...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:19 pm

I have a 97 cobra and I actually just got done replacing the motor in mine. I was looking at a set of Stage 2 cams for mine. They will make a huge improvement. You can port/polish if you like or upgrade to 03/04 heads. You will definately be needing a tune when you put cams in. I would highly recommend bolt-ons. CAI (JLT is great), pulleys, headers, exhaust. You wont really need a dif. throttle body unless you plan on putting alot of boost or nitrous to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:19 am

Thank you for the insight. as for the stage III cam's I did have my eye on a twine turbo system but more down the road, or maybe a super charger. If i did hold off a little bit till I saved up for those big mods would I have any issues with the cames with out having the TT or the SC? I would hate to have them changed again if I can prevent it. I also looked up the crower cam but for some reason I am lacking in the ability to find it for the 98 cobra. I always find a lot for 99+. One set i found was made by ford racing, but it was for $1600. http://www.jegs.com/p/Ford+Racing/763260/10001/-1
It did include the valves and spring replacement too. I guess I really didn't know what I was getting myself into with the DOHC. Now the engine already had the under drive pulleys, and as for the CAI I was looking in to BBK all brands claim the same. *shrug* Now I was also thinking of adding some headers thinking it would be simpler since the motor will be out of car. However once again have a lot to choose from. Beside the obvious short, mid, long what is the big difference in header types? Seems I am again getting my head spun out of control rofl. :*drive*: Now I am looking at speedtweekers they have a long set available. What does one have to do to become a member? Beat down a Chevy? *Grins evily* There is something about auto's that makes me feel young again lol.

I am so tempted to sell my crouch rocket and just roll the cash into my cobra. If anyone is interested in a 05 Honda CBR 600RR let me know and we can talk buisness.

It is possible that some of you may already know me have been stationed here for 8 years total so far. I also worked in a few of the local clubs. Warehouse bar and gril, Tropicana. Most called me Lil' Dan. Anyways I thank you for stopping by my link to help me out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Krutch21 Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:19 am

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-main/category-469_629_700/96-98-svt-cobra-engine-cams.html

Here's the cam pag on Lethal's site for your car year. but if putting a power-adder like a TT or a blower is an option for the future, you may just want to wait and get cams till after you decide what to get. your stock cams will be fine till then and if you throw the big one's in before you put the TT or blower on the car will run but it won't be very effective.

For your heads, instead of porting those heads, you may want to look into doin a swap and putting on '03-04 cobra heads. I asked Mike about this tonight and through himself when he had his 98 cobra and some others who did a port found that the CFM's gained from porting .20 over with everything else entailed in that still din't match or beat the CFM's that a stock terminator head can.

For headers, since i'm looking myself. for the best hp/torque gains you'll want to go with long tube headers. preferably ceramic if you're willing to shell out the extra for that. since ceramic is a lot cooler and will reduce engine heat.

CAI's: Some are better than others. but most will give you similar gains like you said. I personnaly like steeda. but the main thing about those is your inlet tube as well. depending on the CAI you want your tube going to the throttle body to not soak up engine heat whch basically cancels out getting the cold air you want going into your engine.

For membership remember we're dues free. so beating chevy's isn't a requirement, we just do that cuz it's fun. the member discount is basicaly like a referal discount. just let 'em know Wildhorses sent ya!
Krutch21
Krutch21
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 469
My Name: : T.J
My Ride/Rides: : 04 Mystichrome Cobra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:06 am

I have Bassani Mid-lengths on mine but the only reason I went with them are because they are one of the only headers on the market that you can drop a trans without loosening the headers.

Ive got a JLT CAI and have great improvements over the big KN ram air one I had. Most are the same but you will notice some are def. better. I always heard JLT so thats what I went with.

The DOHC motors are not cheap to build. That is for sure. If you go with TT or blower you are going to want to forge the bottom end for sure. The stock bottom end does not like alot of boost/spray. They say no more than 10lbs. of boost or 100-125 shot on a stock bottom end. That is also with a very good tune.

Back to top Go down

Post by billfisher Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:26 pm

if you intend to turbo, build it for it. your b heads are good for forced induction. basically 'h' beams and say 10-12 cc dished forged pistons and balancing of the crank. otherwise a stock rebuild. IMO stock cams are fine for big turbo boost.

midlength headers will allow you to plumb the turbo(s). and a tubular k-member/coil-over/a-arms. you'll lose a bunch of weight and handle better.

the money you'll spend on cams cam be spent better on chasis/turbo readiness. big boost doesnt need a lot of cam if turbos are used.

IMO. (this is exactly where i spent my money on my 4.6 turbo stuff. i still may build it as a b headed beast.)

i will weigh ~2900 lbs and have killer power. 96gt.

as far as the heads... i am in favor of b heads. i know the detractors of them. if i go with mine, i will add a 37mm valve in the secondary and polish both ports. 3 angle. deshrouding them a bit. EGR is disabled in my tune anyway so no more carbon build-up in the secondary. also sullivan is prototyping a b-head intake with a centered injector. they picked up 25hp just from the injector location. so that also weighs in on my final direction.

-bill
billfisher
billfisher
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Male Number of posts : 367
Mods: : before march,28th...93' 4.6 4v ported heads, forgings, turbo, tubular suspension,90/10's, 2900lbs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Yea as for the Turbo I was looking at tubo charged power system. But at 6K+ will have to sell my 600RR first. However I was also looking to see if its really any difference from Super chargers vs turbos. I know with Tubos there is turbo lag. Don't know of any flaws as of yet with the super chagers. I whish i knew of some swap meets to got to and see if I could find some ideas lol. I will let you all know what her condition is after i visit her in the auto hospital lol.

v/r
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by billfisher Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:12 pm

there is no noticable lag with today's tubos.

buy your turbo from ebay. an ebay system will work fine. buy the parts seperately and piece it together. it will cost a couple grand but work as well as any total system .
billfisher
billfisher
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Male Number of posts : 367
Mods: : before march,28th...93' 4.6 4v ported heads, forgings, turbo, tubular suspension,90/10's, 2900lbs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down