WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HCI setup for blake...

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HCI setup for blake... Empty HCI setup for blake...

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:29 am

Blake (my buddy with the 89 5.0) wants to do a hci setup on his car this winter. We were thinking Twisted Wedge. Neither of us have any experiance with this though... is this an install we could do ourselves? Have any of you guys done this?

Back to top Go down

HCI setup for blake... Empty Re: HCI setup for blake...

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:50 pm

You could do it yourselves but you would have to be patient and have the right tools. And I don't believe there is anyone in the group who has done heads or cams besides for Brandon and he had a shop do the work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:05 pm

well we have all winter.... He puts it away during the winter so we'd have a couple months to work on it... you know what kind of special tools we'd need?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:25 pm

2k6silvergt wrote:You could do it yourselves but you would have to be patient and have the right tools. And I don't believe there is anyone in the group who has done heads or cams besides for Brandon and he had a shop do the work.

I'm doing them right now

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Try looking into the aft 185's. they are some great heads... if he ever plans on stroking it to a 331... get the 205's

IMO, the AFR's are the best damn heads on the block for the 5.0's

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:17 pm

we'll check them out... we are still researching on all of it right now... pretty pumped about it though. Twisted wedge has the biggest claimed gains tho... Oh and we wanna get it in a kit cuz it is cheaper and it includes everything you need, but they all come with some pretty wild cams and he wants something more mild since it is his daily driver.... Any ideas? We can't find an hci kit with a mild cam...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Is this going to remain a n/a car or does he plan on going fi at some point in the future?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:24 pm

mmmm well right now we plan on n/a... idk tho you know how when you start modding it never ends... the stock block is good for 500 hp so we could go FI later on pretty easily as far as I know... or am I missing something?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:26 pm

joparrett wrote:mmmm well right now we plan on n/a... idk tho you know how when you start modding it never ends... the stock block is good for 500 hp so we could go FI later on pretty easily as far as I know... or am I missing something?

Well some cams get the best gains and are meant for na setups while others are more geared toward fi setups.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:28 pm

ah... hmmm... Well it won't be going FI anytime in the near future...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:55 pm

i havent messed with the twisted wedges but we used TFS track heats with work on a 306 and made right at 474hp if i remember right. Trick flow is good stuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:01 am

yeah he's thinking about trick flow streets too..... they are a bit cheaper than the twisted edge as well. What is the difference between the TF streets and track?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:04 am

i couldnt tell you for sure because i havent looked into 5.0 stuff in a while but i believe a lot of track heads have small combustion chambers for increasing compression. Every drag car we've built has been at least 13:1 compression even the 498 BBC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:07 am

hmmm... I need to look into this stuff more. I've never gotten into this stuff on my car so I'm learning...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:21 am

well now I think we are gonna go FI... it seems to be the cheapest route and about the same gains.... I still think he needs to go ahead and build his engine and go fi later but he won't listen...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:33 pm

building it first would be best because if he wants to make a lot of power he'll want forged internals. The only problem is that you would want to build it with a relatively low compression like 9.5 or less for a blower. If youre building a natural aspirated engine i'd go with higher compression to get bigger power gains like 11 or something close to that so he can still run pump gas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:21 pm

he's not really looking long term at the moment.... I've tried to get him to do it that way... But he is limited on money and wants to get something done before spring comes... So he just wants to get a supercharger kit and run low boost for now... other people who have ran 8 psi on a stock engine have put down 350-375 hp with no problems...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:12 pm

he'd probly be fine at 8 psi but he could also make that power without a blower. Either way works and he'll probly be happy with it. I just really like naturally aspirated engines. My next engine will have about 500 hp without a blower

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:27 pm

same here.... but for now the blower is the cheapest way for power....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:32 pm

The blower is a good idea, especially since you can find kits now for pretty cheap. He will be able to run 6-8psi and shouldn't have any problems with the stock motor unless he really beats on the car. What kit is he looking at getting?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:35 pm

vortech 5-6 psi kit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:42 pm

joparrett wrote:vortech 5-6 psi kit

I think the 6psi kit is the non-intercooled. If he gets a blower he should definitely go with an intercooler setup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:59 pm

it is not intercooled.... what is the point in going intercooled if you plan on not running any higher than 6psi? To get an intercooler for the kit you have to go up to the higher boost kits and it is a lot more money...

Back to top Go down

Post by FRCE_FED Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

less intake temps = longer life on the motor
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:16 pm

if we went ahead and went w/out an intercooler for a couple months till he could afford one... could we just do that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next