WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford's New MyKey System!!

+4
COLE
Black On Black
Pyrotech72
JH96GT
8 posters

Go down

Ford's New MyKey System!! Empty Ford's New MyKey System!!

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:02 pm

The Blue Oval announced their new MyKey system which will allow parents to limit their teen's abilities and electronically force better driving behavior behind the wheel by simply handing a special car key to them.

To debut next year as standard equipment on the 2010 Focus coupe and to become standard on many other Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models, MyKey allows owners to program a key that can limit the vehicle's top speed to 80mph and keep audio volume to a lower level. MyKey also demands safety-belt usage by muting the stereo until the buckle is clicked. The system also provides earlier low-fuel warnings and can be programmed to sound chimes at 45, 55 and 65 miles per hour.

Yes we all complain about the growing Nanny State that our country is becoming but many people seem to like this idea when it comes to their cars and their kids. Ford’s studies indicate that 75% of parents of teen drivers like the speed-limiting feature. About 50 percent of those who would consider purchasing MyKey also said they would allow their children to use the family vehicle more often if it were equipped with the new technology.

While parents like this new idea, you can imagine that teenagers hate it. You would be right but when told that this feature might allow them more access to a family car than usual they saw the wisdom. Teens surveyed said they are largely open to MyKey if it means they will have more freedom to drive, with only 36 percent objecting to the technology under that premise.

So, while this new feature debuts with the Focus, imagine how it will play in a new Mustang. You have a Mustang GT or even a GT-500 in the garage but may be unwilling to hand over the keys to your 17-year old son for a night out. Consider that you can limit the top speed, limit radio volume, and force seat belt wearing and you might be more likely to let your kid live the dream.

The technology is not all that new, but represents a new direction in software. When the MyKey is inserted into the ignition, the system reads the transponder chip in the key and immediately identifies the MyKey code, which enables certain default driving modes, including:

* Persistent Seat Belt minder with audio mute. The chime continues at the regular interval and the audio system is muted until the safety belt is buckled. A message center display "Buckle Up to Unmute Radio" also appears on the instrument cluster. Wicked.

* Earlier low-fuel warning. Rather than a warning at 50 miles to empty, MyKey provides a warning at 75 miles to empty.

* Limited top speed of 80 mph

* Traction control system, that limits tire spin, cannot be deactivated

* Limited audio volume to 44 percent of total volume

* A speed alert chime at 45, 55 or 65 mph

Yes it sucks if you are 17, but if it allows you more seat time in Dad’s GT-500 it has to be a fair trade off right?? Time well tell.

Back to top Go down

Ford's New MyKey System!! Empty Re: Ford's New MyKey System!!

Post by JH96GT Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:56 pm

When I was 16, my 65 Fastback had something similar. It was called a "Father who would beat your azz" if you did something stupid.
JH96GT
JH96GT
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 503

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:05 pm

I think this is an interesting attempt to decrease the number of teen accidents, but I know more people that drive poor because they are on the phone or texting rather than speeding or listening to the music.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyrotech72 Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:51 pm

2k6silvergt wrote:I think this is an interesting attempt to decrease the number of teen accidents, but I know more people that drive poor because they are on the phone or texting rather than speeding or listening to the music.

My parents' answer was called a Pinto. (Although I did drive a 2-door Granada my senior year.)
Pyrotech72
Pyrotech72
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 446
Humor : Never send a truck to do a Sierra's job? If it's a Sierra's job, it's not much of a job.
My Name: : Michael Dean Johnson
My Ride/Rides: : green 95 V8 Thunderbird, gray 02 F-150 FX4 supercab 5.4L
Mods: : Bird: 3 inch air pipe w/ intake silencer removal, muffler removal, resonator removal, Power Slot Frozen Rotors, Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. FX4: PFC brake pads, Bendix Rotors, Granatelli ignition coils, Clarion CD/MP3/USB player.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pyrotech72/WildHorsesClub#

Back to top Go down

Post by Black On Black Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:12 am

Cool My mother was clueless. She though my 700+ hp 69 Road Runner was a great car for a 16 year old because she did not have to pay for it.
Black On Black
Black On Black
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1063
My Name: : Randy
My Ride/Rides: : 2009 GT Vert and new project 1984 Cutlass Supreme
Mods: : Mustang has Ford Hi-pro exhuast, Ford Racing Tune and ford Racing CAI. Cutlass has a 1979 403 in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by COLE Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:17 am

this is interesting i would like to see how it plays out it kind of make since but like 2k6silvergt said a lot has to do with phones and texting
COLE
COLE
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1630
My Ride/Rides: : 2003 Mustang GT Dark Shadow Grey
Mods: : some suspension, straight pipes, cold air, and ???? idk....

http://www.myspace.com/03colegt

Back to top Go down

Post by 1fstroush Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:54 am

They should install a cell blocking unit the car to eliminate the use of cell phones for teens as well.

:*run*:
1fstroush
1fstroush
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2099

http://www.myspace.com/1fstroush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:38 am

I hate to admit it but there is alot of adults out there that text while driving also. I hate to admit I am guilty myself:(
My 16 year old daughter is a very slow driver so I worry about the other drivers that go alot faster than her. It's very scray to turn them loose out on the roads today.

Back to top Go down

Post by mustangrn Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:58 am

JH96GT wrote:When I was 16, my 65 Fastback had something similar. It was called a "Father who would beat your azz" if you did something stupid.

+1 ...The fear of having to tell Dad I did something stupid was enough.
mustangrn
mustangrn
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Female Number of posts : 554
Humor : Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics!!
My Ride/Rides: : 2007 Grabber Orange Mustang GT

Back to top Go down

Post by wingedone Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:04 pm

I had a 69 Old's Cutlass with over 200k miles on it. Fear of blowing up an engine and nothing to replace it, will keep you out of the throttle.
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 540
Humor : George Carlin, Bill Maher, Lewis Black
My Name: : Thomas
My Ride/Rides: : 1969 Thunderbird, 1969 Camaro, 1993 GoldWing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:37 pm

I had an olsmobile delta 88... soo my boat kept me doin much!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:37 pm

LOL Don't let Alexis findout about this she will buy one for all my cars Evil or Very Mad

1+ on a butt kickin from dad (if you get caught) :*run*:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:17 pm

This, in my opinion, is Awesome!!

Although I trust my 16 year old son's driving ability, this would bring a little piece of mind to me. Not to mention, he is now wanting a Mustang for his 17th birthday in January and his dad is looking for him one now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:02 pm

If this does reduce traffic accidents while teens are driving then by all means it's a good deal. I see more items like this being produced in the future...

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:14 pm

Pyrotech72 wrote:
2k6silvergt wrote:I think this is an interesting attempt to decrease the number of teen accidents, but I know more people that drive poor because they are on the phone or texting rather than speeding or listening to the music.

My parents' answer was called a Pinto. (Although I did drive a 2-door Granada my senior year.)
:_lol_:
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down