WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My car is TOO slow.... =(

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My car is TOO slow.... =( - Page 2 Empty Re: My car is TOO slow.... =(

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm sure Pat would probably agree with me that it is a lot more fun to drive on the streets. The only downside is if it is your daily driver it will go through more gas with them. Can't really answer the second question considering mine were in an auto.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:28 pm

It's already not too good on gas. Would the gears affect the gas mileage a lot?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Roush_Stage2_03 wrote:Well thanks Stevi! Like I said, that was my FIRST time ever down the track in any car. So I was excited when I saw the time! I'm not sure if it was a good night or not.....The traction wasn't the best, but it wasn't too bad. There were some cars hookin. Tell me how I happend to line up beside an 04 Cobra two of the 4 times I went down the track?
scratch He ran somethin like a 12.50 and was mad!...lol

Pat,
I've heard that it doesn't take too long to get used to.....Is it more fun to drive on the streets with the 4:10s? Do the gears make it harder to drive on the streets when your stoppin a lot?

It will be easier to start moving than before because your car does not have to work as hard as it did with the higher ratio i.e. slipping the clutch when coming off a stop light. Think 10 speed bike some gears you pedal like mad and dont really go any where while others you pedal harder but move alot faster alot quicker. Gears help you stay in your power band better. But they do have a down side such as they use more gas since your reving higher while crusing, You will have to shift more often if thats a problem, and cost of install. Dont let some joe blow set them up take it to a shop that knows what there are doing if you don't you may pay for it later! There is no just pull one out put the other in you have to use shims to set pinon depth have guages to read pinon depth, this will net you your back lash if thats not right you will either have a howling rear end or a clunking rear end. And then you have to be able to read the pattern on the gear tooth, Too deep it will howl to shallow it will break the teeth off. Sorry to write a book but IMO gear set-up is best let to some one who knows what there are doing. P.S. I used to set axles up for a living I've seen what a crappy install can get you. Hope this answers some of your questions if you have any more hit me up I think I live around you cuz I've seen your car over at the car wash before. :^drunk^:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:49 pm

Hey man you answered about every question I had about gears!
Thanks a lot!

Your car looks kinda familiar. Im pretty sure I've seen a Cobra like yours go through the car wash. Have you taken it through that Mike's before?

I'm sure you or someone on here could get me a good deal on some gears. The install is the only thing I'm worried about. I've got a pretty steep car payment and don't have a whole lot of extra cash. So it would all depend on what kind of deal I could get on the gears and how good of a deal I could get on the install....I'm hopin maybe to get some people on here that know what they are doin and have done it before to maybe help me out and save me some money!

I live right by the car wash right off county line and 135 in Hill Valley. Where abouts are you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:33 pm

I have 3.73's lol. But yeah, it felt like it pulled like a freight train after i got em in! I cant get traction worth D**K with the 3.73's hahaha... i couldnt even get traction with the stock 3.27's.

When i launch i dont rev at all... i just hover above the gas, and when the tree drops, i just bog and take off.... like i pop the clutch at idle rpms as i floor it.... it'll still spin, but you just gotta one two step the gas and it'll grip eventually under about 1/2 throttle.

Then as i **** into second, i speed shift into it while slamming the gas to the floor, as it starts to spin again, i just one two step it again and its fine... if the track is prepped haha. If its ORP, then i'll give it about 3/4 gas.

And yes, i did notice some MPG loss... but there is no MPG difference b/t 3.73's and 4.10's...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:39 pm

I live in west hill valley right off of the county line enterence. Not my cobra in the car wash it get washed by hand, plus it sits too low. What ever you do dont be tempted to buy used gears. They are a night mare to set up. Just shop around for gears. The gears i think are around 150 or so and you need a master install kit and it's around 100. A good price to set them up would be between 300 and 500 bucks. If your ever wanting to put in a girdal or axles shafts, when you do the gears is the time to do because all that stuff must be taken apart. So therefore no extra cost to have the stuff installed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Wow so you live seconds from me.

Well I would have the money for the gears and the install kit....But not sure if I could afford the cost of installation.....Thats why I was hoping to find some people on here that would know what they are doin and see if I could get it done cheaper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:58 pm

I would do it but i just dont have the time with work. When you get your stuff let me know and i can ask some of my friends if they'll do it. Do you know what gears your car has now? 3.27? 3.55?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:02 pm

3:55 are in there now.

Yeah I would really appreciate it if you could maybe find some people or possibly help for a little bit or somethin. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

If I did get some people to help me how long u think it would take? And how much do you think would be reasonable to pay for the install?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:11 pm

i never dump the clutch on street tires. i go to around 3K, feather the clutch out...and it usually rides good. if i feel it slip i keep the clutch there till it hooks but i go full gas once i let out.

Since i got the nitto's i've just been dumping it at 4K-4.5K

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:24 pm

See I had no idea what to do and nobody really told me anything before I ran it. Thanks for the advice. I will try what you said next time I run.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Yeah...it's alot of just trial and error. I've got prolly 30 pass's since i got my DR put on, and i'm still trying to find how to launch. I haven't been to the track in awhile though. Hopefully i can get a day off soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 pm

I'd be willing to bet that Pat's and Stevi's had 3.27 gears in there GT's since you have 3.55's you might want to check into some cheaper DR's such as nitto's ( BTW nitto's have a decent tread life )before you go spending money on gears. You might be impressed on what a difference a little traction will do. I'm just saying dont go throwing all your eggs in one basket feel it out a little and see if Pat will take you for a ride in his car so you can feel the difference between his and what you have. Remember HP and torque dont mean **** if you cant get it to the ground!

Last edited by 03sm3341 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:47 pm

I agree with the trial and error part.
I only ran it 4 times when I was out there and that's the only 4 passes I've had.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 pm

Feel the difference in the tires or the gears between the 2 cars?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Roush_Stage2_03 wrote:Feel the difference in the tires or the gears between the 2 cars?

The gears in pats and the tires in stevi's

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:51 pm

What gears does Pats have?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:54 pm

3:73's

I've got 4:10's. I just have yet to put them in. I'm somewhat scared of breaking an axle. But I think that by the time i get all my motor work done, this diff will prolly be shot. I should really just wait till i can upgrade but i don't have 500 bux to throw down on axles and a diff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:55 pm

3.73's

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 pm

Should I be worried about breakin an axle?

I've rode in my buddy's 96 Cobra which has 4:30's in it and it is fuckin ridiculous!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:58 pm

SteviGX wrote:3:73's

I've got 4:10's. I just have yet to put them in. I'm somewhat scared of breaking an axle. But I think that by the time i get all my motor work done, this diff will prolly be shot. I should really just wait till i can upgrade but i don't have 500 bux to throw down on axles and a diff.

Buy Moser axles 300 bucks and if you really want you can go pick them up at there factory in Portland IN. 4.10's, DR's and stock shafts does sound a little bit like brakage to me but if might run forever that way i've seen stanger things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Roush_Stage2_03 wrote:Should I be worried about breakin an axle?

I've rode in my buddy's 96 Cobra which has 4:30's in it and it is fuckin ridiculous!

I bet he shifts quick too. I know the guy your talking about. I'd say for a seat of your pants feeling mod gears are the hot ticket with DR's coming in a close 2nd. Get on SVTPerformance.com and look on there there's tons of stuff about what your thinking about doing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:03 pm

Well...see I want to upgrade to 31 splines if i do. Thats 260 for the diff that come stock in your car, with carbon clutches and then 300 for axles.

I've heard so many things. Guy on moddedmustangs ran et street launching at 5K and 3200 on spray and ran a 12.01 on stock axles with 4:10's. Alot of shops have told me they will hold up for about 15 launches then it's a timebomb.

I am thinkin about just getting them put in and seeing what happens. Just no launch hard or anything like that. break them in properly. I just don't know. I know i'm gonna be that guy that breaks an axles launching on some nitto's haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 pm

SteviGX wrote:Well...see I want to upgrade to 31 splines if i do. Thats 260 for the diff that come stock in your car, with carbon clutches and then 300 for axles.

I've heard so many things. Guy on moddedmustangs ran et street launching at 5K and 3200 on spray and ran a 12.01 on stock axles with 4:10's. Alot of shops have told me they will hold up for about 15 launches then it's a timebomb.

I am thinkin about just getting them put in and seeing what happens. Just no launch hard or anything like that. break them in properly. I just don't know. I know i'm gonna be that guy that breaks an axles launching on some nitto's haha.

A key to not breaking stuff is to not shock load it. i.e. dump the clutch at 4k on DR's. I also do rock crawling and i've broke more axles than you can shake a stick at most are from shock loading.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Your best bet is to get some nitto drag radials. Gears are great but the install on them is outrageous anymore. When I had my 4.10's installed in my 06 gt it cost me 280 and that was with tax and fluids. Last I checked places were quoting 350-600 to do them, saying to expect around 8 hours to install.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next