WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Turbo guys--A supercharger guy need help.

3 posters

Go down

Turbo guys--A supercharger guy need help. Empty Turbo guys--A supercharger guy need help.

Post by Eagle2000GT Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:06 am

I'm running stock rods and pistons so I'm somewhat limited on maximum boost. I also want my engine to survive. Its done well so far since it has 154,000 miles on it and the last 74,000 were supercharged. I've been thinking about boost controllers. I read an article a few years back. I think I can drop my pulley from 3.7" to maybe 3.2" and put in a manual boost controller to limit the boost getting to the motor to 10 psi (currently running max boost at 9 psi but I often push it to 10.)

My google seach suggested manual boost controllers are fairly cheap. Pulleys are fairly cheap. It would be nice if I could double my low end boost while keeping the top end the same. But, I've never seen a boost controller and the pictures on the Web show tiny line ports.

Does anyone have experience with boost controllers? What do you think?
Eagle2000GT
Eagle2000GT
6 Cylinder
6 Cylinder

Male Number of posts : 86
My Name: : Tom
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 Mustang GT
12.7 @ 111.4 mph

Back to top Go down

Turbo guys--A supercharger guy need help. Empty Re: Turbo guys--A supercharger guy need help.

Post by FRCE_FED Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:30 am

Im not sure i understand your question here. are you thinking of going turbo? a boost controller opens the wastegate on turbo'd applications at a set "boost or vacuum level" so that it can regulate how much exhaust gas gets into the turbo.

the only thing you can do with a supercharger is swap pullies for a given boost amount.
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

Turbo guys--A supercharger guy need help. Empty Re: Turbo guys--A supercharger guy need help.

Post by Eagle2000GT Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:23 am

People have put boost controllers and wastegates on superchargers but instead of venting exhaust gasses around the turbo they vent boost to atmosphere. This allows you to pulley down making the centrifugal supercharger build boost faster but limits the maximum boost. I found out they make a special part to do this. It's called a boost limiter.
http://www.928m.com/parts/boostlimitervalve.php

I think it might be of some advantage to high boost applications but I'm not sure it would help much on low boost applications. I compared mid-range dynos from systems running 14 psi (3.2" pulley) to mine at 9 psi. It gained maybe 10-15 rwhp/rwtq. I discussed this on Modded Mustangs and some who had actually tried it posted that their car was 4/10th faster running an 8 psi pulley than it was running a 12 psi pulley limiting boost to 8 psi. At that point I lost all interest in experimenting with it.
Eagle2000GT
Eagle2000GT
6 Cylinder
6 Cylinder

12.7 @ 111.4 mph

Back to top Go down

Post by FRCE_FED Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:06 pm

im still really skeptical, i understand the aspect of venting overboost which is nice for a miss shift or what-not since it is rpm driven. but to get more boost at an earlier rpm range you would need to gear the supercharger differently (correct?)
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

Post by 1fstroush Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:19 pm

I have seen this done, but on vehicles that are pushing 15+ lbs of boost. I would spend the money on sourcing some better rods/pistons. Or start a motor sploder fund. Because in time, you'll need to rebuild that beast.
1fstroush
1fstroush
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2099

http://www.myspace.com/1fstroush

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle2000GT Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:06 am

Yes, to do it I would have had to drop down from a 3.7" pulley to a 3.2" or 3.0" pulley. Peak torque would come earlier.
Eagle2000GT
Eagle2000GT
6 Cylinder
6 Cylinder

12.7 @ 111.4 mph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down