WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Its Official: Ford Closing Down Mercury Brand

5 posters

Go down

Its Official: Ford Closing Down Mercury Brand Empty Its Official: Ford Closing Down Mercury Brand

Post by Danstang Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:09 am

In a news conference today Ford has officially announced that the 71 year old Mercury brand will go out of production at the end of 2010. Billed as part of a realignment of the company’s brand strategy, the ailing mid-level brand Ford says has been overshadowed by many of the newer and more exciting models wearing the Blue Oval in recent years. Buyers have been slowly migrating from Mercury to Ford vehicles, making the brand less and less relevant in the marketplace.

Going forward and making up for the loss of the Mercury brand Ford will expand and enhance its Lincoln brand lineup with seven all-new or significantly refreshed vehicles in the next four years as part of an aggressive growth plan focused on standout product design, class-leading technology and new powertrains. The company says its strategy is squarely aimed at competing with Cadillac and Lexus.

“We have made tremendous progress on profitably growing the Ford brand during the past few years. Now, it is time to do the same for Lincoln,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s president of The Americas. “The new Lincoln vehicles will transform luxury for North American premium customers through an unexpected blend of responsive driving enjoyment and warm, inviting comfort. We will also offer our customers a world-class retail experience through a vibrant retail network.”

Widening the scope of Lincoln, the brand will receive an upscale car based on the same platform as the 2012 Focus, a first in segment vehicle for the brand. The car was originally slated for Mercury, but will be enhanced with luxury and mechanical upgrades such as EcoBoost.

“Lincoln vehicles will reward drivers with smooth, effortless power complemented by agile handling and responsive steering,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president, Global Product Development. “The cabin is a sanctuary with segment-leading quietness, genuine materials and intuitive, useful technology.”

Lincoln has started gaining traction with customers, as evidenced by market share gains during the past five years. Lincoln’s share of the retail U.S. luxury vehicle market has grown from 4.5 percent in 2005 to 6.3 percent through the first quarter of 2010.

As to winding down Mercury, Ford says its strong financial position will allow them to absorb short-term costs associated with the discontinuation of Mercury and to consolidate future product investments into Lincoln. This will involve the dissolution of some dealership franchises.

Ford also wants consumers to know they will work closely with Mercury dealers and customers during the transition, including providing existing Mercury owners with continued access to parts and service support at Ford and Lincoln dealers and by honoring current warranties, including Ford’s Extended Service Plans.

“We are 100 percent committed to supporting Mercury owners through Ford and Lincoln dealerships and working hard to keep them as valued customers in the future,” Fields said. “At the same time, we will work closely with our dealers to phase out Mercury franchises and continue to build a healthy, growing Lincoln with strong new products and a profitable dealer network that delivers a world-class customer experience.”

Mercury owners will receive additional details in the coming days explaining the transition and assuring them that Ford and its dealers will continue to provide all necessary parts and service support for Mercury products.
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

Its Official: Ford Closing Down Mercury Brand Empty Re: Its Official: Ford Closing Down Mercury Brand

Post by Wolvee Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:41 am

awesome! it's stupid to have two vehicles that are the same but with different names.

As long as they bring over some of the Mercury trim that would be cool.
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1711
Humor : "I have nothing to declare but my genius."
My Name: : Mike
My Ride/Rides: : 01 F150
Mods: : 35's, 3" Body lift, soon to have a new 5.4 w/ some goodies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=2525263

Back to top Go down

Its Official: Ford Closing Down Mercury Brand Empty Re: Its Official: Ford Closing Down Mercury Brand

Post by Eturner Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:22 am

A sad but wise move for Ford
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 970
Humor : Yes it's fast.....No you can't drive it!!!
My Name: : ED
My Ride/Rides: : 2004 MUSTANG GT......40th ANNV.
Mods: : INTAKE, PULLLYS, TUNE, AND A CHERRY-BOMB VORTEX CAT BACK SYSTEM.....MACH 1 CHIN SPOILER, SOME DECALS AND INTERIOR PEICES TOO.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1fstroush Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 am

About time!

I can't wait to see what Ford is going to do to make the mid-market...Can you say a fancied up AWD turbo Fusion???
1fstroush
1fstroush
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2099

http://www.myspace.com/1fstroush

Back to top Go down

Post by Eturner Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:23 pm

An Eco-boost v6 fusion would be sweet!!!!!!!.......
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 970
Humor : Yes it's fast.....No you can't drive it!!!
My Name: : ED
My Ride/Rides: : 2004 MUSTANG GT......40th ANNV.
Mods: : INTAKE, PULLLYS, TUNE, AND A CHERRY-BOMB VORTEX CAT BACK SYSTEM.....MACH 1 CHIN SPOILER, SOME DECALS AND INTERIOR PEICES TOO.

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:43 pm

There only about 30 years late on this decision! I have never understood the function or need for Mercury
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down