WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 BOSS 302R Makes Debut At Daytona

Go down

2011 BOSS 302R Makes Debut At Daytona Empty 2011 BOSS 302R Makes Debut At Daytona

Post by Danstang Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:18 am

2011 BOSS 302R Makes Debut At Daytona A10gad10

It was just a month ago that Ford Racing pulled the drape off the new Mustang BOSS 302R race car that will be campaigned this year in the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. Formerly known as the KONI Challenge series, the Grand-Am season started off at Daytona Beach last weekend.

2011 BOSS 302R Makes Debut At Daytona A10gad11

Ford brought out the whole gang including racing legend Parnelli Jones who helped make the original BOSS 302 a legend some 40 years ago. Three of the new Mustang BOSS 302R’s raced at Daytona; #37 Bret Seafuse & James Gue, #16 Gunnar Jeannette & Frank Montecalv, and #15 Scott Maxwell & Joe Foster.

2011 BOSS 302R Makes Debut At Daytona A10gad12
2011 BOSS 302R Makes Debut At Daytona A10gad13
2011 BOSS 302R Makes Debut At Daytona A10gad14

It was unfortunately not a great opening for the new Mustang as the new BOSS 302R models did not show as well as perhaps Ford might have preferred. But given the three teams campaigning the car had just taken delivery and barely had time behind the wheel, it does not necessarily forecast the season to come.

In the race itself, #37 James Gue & Bret Seafuse all but entirely overcame a self-inflicted early race miscue to finish fourth in Friday’s Fresh From Florida 200 the race’s top-finishing Mustang. Taking delivery less than two weeks ago, the driving pair hardly had enough time acclimate themselves to their new Mustang Boss 302R.

One of six Mustangs in the field’s top-10 qualifiers, the pair started 8th but Seafuse soon was ordered to the field’s rear. “We went down the board because I made a bit of a blunder on the second [race] restart and I jumped the start,” Seafuse said. “So I had to come in for a stop-and-go. We went from 7th or 8thto dead last behind all the ST cars and everybody. I’ve never done that before.”

Handing off to Gue (goo-EH), the JBS team mixed brainpower with horsepower in a run toward the scoreboard’s top, stopped short only by the 63-lap race’s checkered flag. “Though we hurt ourselves early, our finish is made all the more remarkable when you consider I only was able to get my first laps in the Boss [Thursday]—it ran well straight out of the box,” Gue said.

“We’re off to another really good points start and we can only get better now that we’ve got a little more time to get used to our newest horse.”

The other two Mustang BOSS 302R’s finished down the roster. #16 Gunnar Jeannette & Frank Montecalv placed 49th and #15 Scott Maxwell & Joe Foster came in at 56th.

2011 BOSS 302R Makes Debut At Daytona A10gad15
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down