WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caliper bracket bolt?

3 posters

Go down

Caliper bracket bolt? Empty Caliper bracket bolt?

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:51 am

okay guys, i was driving home saturday evening, got about to my driveway and as im braking i hear an unpleasant noise from my brakes. go to back the car into the barn and my passenger front wheel locks up and drags across the gravel. get out of it and find out the whole caliper and bracket assembly moves and is wedging itself on the inside of my wheel while in reverse.

so what i need to know is will any caliper bracket bolt from an sn95 fit my brakes or will it need to be for a cobra since i have the cobra calipers? i dont know what was changed in the conversion so i am unsure. and where might i acquire this bolt.

also on a related note, this same side brake system was rattling for quite a while unrelated to this bolt coming missing. could it be caused by the cheap carquest pads i got or a missing shim or something. the whole caliper moved inside the bracket and i couldnt figure out how to get it to stop. it only ever made noise from the passenger side, and just started doing it about a month ago. the drivers side seems to be great and looks the same as the passenger but the caliper doesnt move.

Back to top Go down

Caliper bracket bolt? Empty Re: Caliper bracket bolt?

Post by BraMas Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:21 am

You should be fine with any SN95 bolt. There is 2 by the way
It was probably rattling because your caliper was loose for some reason. The calipers do not just fall off. Verify you do not have another problem with the bracket before putting it back on
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:03 pm

BraMas wrote:You should be fine with any SN95 bolt. There is 2 by the way
It was probably rattling because your caliper was loose for some reason. The calipers do not just fall off. Verify you do not have another problem with the bracket before putting it back on

okay, ill see if i can find an sn95 bolt or may just try a hardware store bolt, but i have all winter to do it. im putting it in hibernation now and driving the winter beater.

but the caliper rattles because the pads dont sit on both sides of the inside of the bracket right. there is probably just smaller than 1/8" maybe 1/8" gap between the end of the metal pad part and the bracket. ive been thinkin maybe the bracket got bent or warped somehow since it only started rattling unbearably after a rather hard braking. ive also heard that something with the part that holds the pads in the pistons and on the other side of the caliper sometimes come off which is why i thought id try some new pads. but ill compare the brackets when i get them off later this week and see if it got messed up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:52 pm

Did you have a brake hardware kit on you pads (the small metal clips for each pad)? If you didn't have that kit, the pad would move around about an 1/8th of an inch or so causing that problem. You can get those kits for around $10.
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:38 am

Danstang wrote:Did you have a brake hardware kit on you pads (the small metal clips for each pad)? If you didn't have that kit, the pad would move around about an 1/8th of an inch or so causing that problem. You can get those kits for around $10.

nope didnt have that kit, but i had previously never had a problem. do they have those at car quest? i might just try a set of better pads ive been told some of the better ones come with that sort of thing. although these pads still have lots of use left in them probably get another year out of them somehow so $10 if it works will be well worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 pm

yeah you can get the clips at car quest... and i bought the "life-time warranty" ceramic brakes and they didn't come with them so i'm pretty sure its something your going to have to buy seperate...

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:57 pm

yeah i'm assuming those are the clips for the cobra brakes cause when i do the same kit for my GT it shows these clips...
Caliper bracket bolt? Brakes10
which is what we were referring to, so yeah that kit should give you the clips you need

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down