WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow tires???

4 posters

Go down

Snow tires??? Empty Snow tires???

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:16 pm

I'm looking into getting some snow tires for the winter since I have to drive the darn Roush in the winter =(.

I've heard a lot of good things about Bridgestone Blizzak tires? Are they any good??
Any other suggested brands of snow tires?

Also.....what would be the best size for both the front and back for the snow tires?

Right now the front has Sumitoma's... 265/35/zr18 (93W)....The back has 285/35/zr18 (97W).

Back to top Go down

Snow tires??? Empty Re: Snow tires???

Post by FRCE_FED Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:09 pm

ive always had all season tires during the winter, never tried winter tires... just throw some weight in your trunk brotha!
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

Post by Eagle2000GT Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:27 pm

I drive my car all winter long. Please do not try to drive though the winter with summer tires. I had Kumho summer tires on the car when I bought it. I almost got stuck in 1/2 inch of snow on a parking lot with a slight up grade. A couple of weeks later I ended up in a ditch. I've driven manual shift rear wheel drive cars for over 40 years and never had a car handle as badly as a Mustang with summer tires. I switched to all-season tires and it made a world of difference.

Blizzak's are supposed to be the best. In the mostly light snow that we get in Indiana, I've only driven all-seasons on the Mustang. My tire of choice is Continental Extreme Contact. Check it out on Tire Rack.
Eagle2000GT
Eagle2000GT
6 Cylinder
6 Cylinder

Male Number of posts : 86
My Name: : Tom
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 Mustang GT
12.7 @ 111.4 mph

Back to top Go down

Post by 1fstroush Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:48 pm

I prefer Blizzak's on the L, however I got a great deal on Micheline X-Ice. So far 0 issues and great traction on snow and ice patches.

AJ
1fstroush
1fstroush
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2099

http://www.myspace.com/1fstroush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:57 pm

Eagle2000GT wrote:I drive my car all winter long. Please do not try to drive though the winter with summer tires. I had Kumho summer tires on the car when I bought it. I almost got stuck in 1/2 inch of snow on a parking lot with a slight up grade. A couple of weeks later I ended up in a ditch. I've driven manual shift rear wheel drive cars for over 40 years and never had a car handle as badly as a Mustang with summer tires. I switched to all-season tires and it made a world of difference.

Blizzak's are supposed to be the best. In the mostly light snow that we get in Indiana, I've only driven all-seasons on the Mustang. My tire of choice is Continental Extreme Contact. Check it out on Tire Rack.

I will check them out.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:58 pm

1fstroush wrote:I prefer Blizzak's on the L, however I got a great deal on Micheline X-Ice. So far 0 issues and great traction on snow and ice patches.

AJ

How much a tire did you pay for your Blizzak's? How much for the Micheline X-ice tires?

What size would you reccommend in the front and back?

Back to top Go down

Post by 1fstroush Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:00 pm

Personally I have an extra set of F150 (stock) rims 16" that I put on for winter driving.

I put on 255/75/16 and paid $124 per tire.

AJ
1fstroush
1fstroush
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:04 pm

1fstroush wrote:Personally I have an extra set of F150 (stock) rims 16" that I put on for winter driving.

I put on 255/75/16 and paid $124 per tire.

AJ

I would really like to find an extra set of 18" rims too so my Roush rims don't get messed up. Prolly just look for some stock GT rims....Do you think I'd have a problem finding a set of stockish 18" rims?

Would 255/75/18 be alright for my car? I was planning on 255's....but wasn't sure about the thickness for snow tires?

Back to top Go down

Post by 1fstroush Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:13 pm

I would get a set of 17" stock GT rims. They would be thin (7.5" wide) tire that would handle real well with a snow tire.

18" rims are good but the tire selection is slim and expensive.
1fstroush
1fstroush
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:17 pm

1fstroush wrote:I would get a set of 17" stock GT rims. They would be thin (7.5" wide) tire that would handle real well with a snow tire.

18" rims are good but the tire selection is slim and expensive.

Glad you told me that. I was just testin the waters to see what was out there.

How much do you think a set of stock 17" rims would cost?

And if I do get some 17" rims.....What would be the best width and thickness to get for the tires?.....255/?

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:03 am

You guys actually get snow down there? j/k
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:54 pm

Danstang wrote:You guys actually get snow down there? j/k

It's snowin like crazy here today!!!!! :*gripe*:

The Roush is COVERED in snow! :'cuss':

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:36 pm

i have a set of stock rims off of my car but they're only 16x8's

Back to top Go down

Post by FRCE_FED Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:26 pm

x2 ive got a set Smile
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:38 pm

I'm tryin to get the whole tire thing figured out.....I had someone offer me a set of Firestone Winterforce with stock 16" rims for $100....but the tires are like 5 years old so I don't know what I'm gonna do with that.

I don't mind putting a set of 16" or 17" rims on in the winter....I just need the tires to go with them.....But I guess I could buy the rims from you guys or someone and then figure out the tire situation.

I just got a new job after being unemployed for awhile so I'm tryin to get some money saved up....but I don't know how much I'm gonna have to spend on the rims and tires.....So I'm tryin to find the CHEAPEST route.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down