WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tech question... good machine shop close to Eaton Rapids?

4 posters

Go down

tech question... good machine shop close to Eaton Rapids? Empty tech question... good machine shop close to Eaton Rapids?

Post by 86GTBludger Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:10 pm

I've been talking to my boss who is a big turbo geek and he got me thinking about upping the hp in my foxbody. After some thinking i figured that i need to start with a solid core but dont want to buy a new block until i know the current one is too far gone.. Looking to see how much an inspection, hot tank, magnaflux, align hone, decking, and honing/boring would cost?

So does anybody know a good machine shop near Eaton Rapids that could do this? study
86GTBludger
86GTBludger
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Male Number of posts : 20
Humor : Always remember you're unique - just like everyone else!
My Name: : Chris
My Ride/Rides: : 1986 Ford Mustang GT Hatchback.
Mods: : Restoration work mostly, ideas keep getting thrown into the brewing pot! scratching for 350-400hp

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1307463424

Back to top Go down

tech question... good machine shop close to Eaton Rapids? Empty Re: tech question... good machine shop close to Eaton Rapids?

Post by FRCE_FED Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Im all about throwing a turbo on stuff! i say go for it
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2450
Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
My Name: : David
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 3.8L Stang, Performance Red
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

http://www.myspace.com/kbcobra

Back to top Go down

tech question... good machine shop close to Eaton Rapids? Empty Re: tech question... good machine shop close to Eaton Rapids?

Post by 86GTBludger Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 pm

hah, I feel like a turbo would be building in a different direction, I want a N/A beast just to see what i can do on my own.. but who knows, maybe a turbo would be interesting. I need to study them more before I put one on my stang tho
86GTBludger
86GTBludger
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Mods: : Restoration work mostly, ideas keep getting thrown into the brewing pot! scratching for 350-400hp

Back to top Go down

Post by FRCE_FED Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 am

spool is addicting man, be careful to spend what you can. this project of mine has been ongoing for several years.

sounds like your in the right direction but i always tell people to learn from me.. plan out what you want in the long run ( IE: you want a built motor to handle the power which is great) so save some dough and get the motor plus supporting mods (fuel systems or suspension)

for people who want to run 800hp on a stock motor and they dont have the funds to replace the motor the 1st pass, they are the ones that need to take a step back and make a plan on what they want.
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Humor : spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know
Mods: : Built 3.8l, Custom little 62mm Single Turbo, fox 8.8 rear, TKO500 5speed manual trans, HPX 05 maf, custom tune by myself, and vmp tuning Looking for 550rwh at the wheels! Its just a lil v6 Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:21 am

Haven't been in michigan in a while but last a knew there was a place right behind KFC in Charlotte, i think it was called Dowkers or something like that.. i knew a lot of people that went there and we very happy with their work

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by 86GTBludger Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:24 pm

I talked to my boss and he said he had his engine worked on at dowkers too and told me they took a little longer than planned, but did some good work.
86GTBludger
86GTBludger
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:18 pm

yeah i have no idea how fast they work, just heard many people recommend going there...

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by Supercheese Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:25 am

What kind of power are you looking for? Stock 5.0 block?
Supercheese
Supercheese
6 Cylinder
6 Cylinder

Male Number of posts : 99
My Name: : Joe D
My Ride/Rides: : 2001 GT and 1966 Coupe
Mods: : 2001 GT.. way too much.
1966 Coupe.. bone stock original

Back to top Go down

Post by 86GTBludger Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Well i found a Cheap-ish new 302 block that will come with cast pistons and a 50 oz crank, but i'm looking for between 350 to 400 horses, so i'm going to get rid of the cast pistons and get some forged ones, idk what to do about crank, i like the sound of afr's 185 heads, ford racings x303 cam, bbk long tube headers with o/r x pipe and flowmaster 40 series mufflers, a bbk cold air intake, either 70 or 75mm throttle body, bbk ssi intake. The way i have been thinking about it is get the new engine, and start building it outside the car so i can drive around on the stock engine and have fun, and when the new motor is complete enough, swap motors. Any suggestions? Am I going in the right direction?
86GTBludger
86GTBludger
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Supercheese Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 am

Looking at n/a or f/i?
Supercheese
Supercheese
6 Cylinder
6 Cylinder

Back to top Go down

Post by 86GTBludger Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Naturally aspirated. But i'm having second thoughts on everything, that woulb be alot of money just for the motor, then theres alot of chassis stuff i would need to do, and the bodys rough so it wont last long even with reinforcing, maybe i could engine swap into a 1st gen? tongue so many decisions! shrug
86GTBludger
86GTBludger
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by FRCE_FED Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 am

86GTBludger wrote:Naturally aspirated. But i'm having second thoughts on everything, that woulb be alot of money just for the motor, then theres alot of chassis stuff i would need to do, and the bodys rough so it wont last long even with reinforcing, maybe i could engine swap into a 1st gen? tongue so many decisions! shrug

tongue so many decisions! shrug there is the comment that sums up life in general, haha good luck with it.
FRCE_FED
FRCE_FED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Supercheese Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Just remember that stock 5.0's crap out around 475-500. My last fox was an 84 gt, and I split the first motor (347ci) in half... Made 482 hp at the crank.

So, I guess my advice would be to build a roller 351 or a late 60's 351. That way your not handicapped so much. This is another reason I went to the modular crowd...
Supercheese
Supercheese
6 Cylinder
6 Cylinder

Back to top Go down

Post by 86GTBludger Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:11 pm

well i've been thinking about maybe less horsepower to make it more streetable, like closer to a 1:1 hp to cubic inch displaced ratio. 300 hp would still be fun for the shap the cars in.
86GTBludger
86GTBludger
hitch hiker
hitch hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down