WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

System Too Lean (Bank 2)?

3 posters

Go down

System Too Lean (Bank 2)? Empty System Too Lean (Bank 2)?

Post by Shady Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:28 pm

well i've been chasing 1 check engine code after another the last couple weeks... to start i had a cylinder 5 misfire (fouled out plug) got that fixed, then it was showing my fuel cap was loose, which was actually a torn grommet were the fuel neck goes into the tank so i replaced that, now its showing fault p0174 "System Too Lean (Bank 2)" from what i've seen half the people are saying it's probably a bad O2 sensor and the other half are saying its a good O2 sensor detecting a problem, so i was wondering if you guys had any input? should i start with the O2 sensor? and if so bank 2 is drivers side correct? The O2 sensors in there are only about 2 years old but the car runs super rich, so here is a very good possibility it destroyed another one already...

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

System Too Lean (Bank 2)? Empty Re: System Too Lean (Bank 2)?

Post by scstanger Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:58 am

You have O/R midpipe right?
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1175
Humor : In every situation!
My Name: : Richard
My Ride/Rides: : 2000 Roush Stage 1
Mods: : Roush CAI, BBK 70mm TB with Trickflow Aluminum Intake manifold and plenum, Magnaflow X and shorty mufflers, SCT Tune, 8000k HID Headlights and FOGS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:31 pm

yeah, BBK Offroad H Pipe...

Shady
Admin

Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:33 pm

It has always been my understanding that when you have an O/R midpipe and no cats to protect the rear o2's they will not last long. I would put my money on those wildman. Instead of buying new sensors you should buya tuner and turn them off. Then you don't have to worry about it. When are you coming back to Columbia?
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Mods: : Roush CAI, BBK 70mm TB with Trickflow Aluminum Intake manifold and plenum, Magnaflow X and shorty mufflers, SCT Tune, 8000k HID Headlights and FOGS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Its been hard to make it to events since july because i work midnights now and for some reason we were working monday-Friday nights rather than the usual Sunday-Thursday... the first of the year I go on days

Shady
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ljwhite174 Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:45 pm

I have a tuner and mine are turned off in my H pipe and i had that code once before and found out that i had a intake vaccum leak between the upper plenum and the manifold. that was right after i put a new manifold on, so that might not be it but a leak like that with extra air coming in after your mass air can cause a lean condition, check to see if you have a leak there with a can of carb cleanser, and spray alittle around where the plenum seals to the manifold and see if it sucks it in, dont know if that will help but that is what i had to do with mine. hope it helps banghead
ljwhite174
ljwhite174
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 501
Humor : I wonder if that honda burns white or fried rice???
My Name: : larry
My Ride/Rides: : 2003 white GT vert
Mods: : none yet

https://www.facebook.com/wildhorses.clarksvilletnchapter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:11 am

scstanger wrote:It has always been my understanding that when you have an O/R midpipe and no cats to protect the rear o2's they will not last long.
Been a while since i've been under the car but i'm like 95% sure i only have one set of O2's.... guess i'll grab a can of carb cleaner and see what i got, (probably gonna clean the MAF while i'm at it too)

Shady
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scstanger Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:36 am

There should be two right at the headers (front) and two about halfway (rear). The first two check the air going into the cats and the second check the air coming out which is why they throw the code.
scstanger
scstanger
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down