WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not really a Tech Question!!...

2 posters

Go down

Not really a Tech Question!!... Empty Not really a Tech Question!!...

Post by Eturner Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Ok so the other day I was washing my Stang and realized I'm out of wheel cleaner. So I decided to just try some thing... A little bit of dish soap and some water in a spray bottle. Wheels came out looking great. I once read that you should not use dish soap on your car as it can damage the paint. My question is... What about painted surfaces on you rims??... Does the same thing for that hold true??...

And by other day I mean Yesturday!... The 4th of July!... I figured what better way to spend an American holiday than to clean an American made car?!?!..... Wink
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 970
Humor : Yes it's fast.....No you can't drive it!!!
My Name: : ED
My Ride/Rides: : 2004 MUSTANG GT......40th ANNV.
Mods: : INTAKE, PULLLYS, TUNE, AND A CHERRY-BOMB VORTEX CAT BACK SYSTEM.....MACH 1 CHIN SPOILER, SOME DECALS AND INTERIOR PEICES TOO.

Back to top Go down

Not really a Tech Question!!... Empty Re: Not really a Tech Question!!...

Post by GreyGhost Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:25 pm

I think the reason for not using dish soap is it will strip the wax off and leave your paint/clearcoat unprotected. As for the wheels I would think that it would be the same. There are lots of wheel cleaners that should work to clean your wheels.

GreyGhost

Number of posts : 898

Back to top Go down

Post by Eturner Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:33 pm

I know there are lots of different cleaners out there. I just didn't know that I ran out before I started cleaning my car. Plus I know the paints they usually use on rims tends to be a bit different.
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Mods: : INTAKE, PULLLYS, TUNE, AND A CHERRY-BOMB VORTEX CAT BACK SYSTEM.....MACH 1 CHIN SPOILER, SOME DECALS AND INTERIOR PEICES TOO.

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyGhost Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm

We have the same wheels and I don't think they have a clearcoat on them. Dishsoap may be ok if you put some kind of wax on afterwards to protect them. I use Mothers alum wheel polish and get great results. After that I put wax on and they stay shiny.

GreyGhost

Number of posts : 898

Back to top Go down

Post by Eturner Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:42 pm

I do usually use a spray on wax on them after wards from turtle wax. As far as using the dish soap... I must say it seems to clean them better and easier than any wheel cleaner I've ever used!... I guess I'll just keep doing that unless I see any problems... Thanks for the input!...
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down