WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I broke it

Go down

I broke it Empty I broke it

Post by RoadBlock Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:24 am

Well this past Friday night at midnight madness I broke my GT. The idle air control went out so it was idling at about 2100rpms. Replaced that so it idles right now but has a bad kinda knocking coming from what sounds like the drivers side. I pulled the valve cover thinking it was a rocker or lifter or something but they all looked fine. Went ahead and replaced them though while I had it off. Still makes the sound and it increases with engine speed. Another thing I thought it might be in the drivetrain cause on the way home at every stop it smelt like burning clutch kinda bad. I don't know and can't pull it apart right now since going back to work it will have to wait till I get back. So I'll be rocking in my LX for a bit. Time to definatley get my new motor built already. Any thoughts on the matter or where to start checking to try and track down my problem would be helpful.
RoadBlock
RoadBlock
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Male Number of posts : 324
Humor : What the duece? Doh'
My Name: : Jon
My Ride/Rides: : 2004 Mustang GT, 1967 Mustang Project Car, 1992 LX Mustang Beater
Mods: : Intake, Exhaust, Suspension, Appearance. Nuff said

Back to top Go down

I broke it Empty Re: I broke it

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:32 am

Try this. While the engine is idling start listening for the knock. If you can hear the knock at idle the next step will be to pull one spark plug wire at a time. If the knock goes away or quites down than its a rod bearing on that cylinder. You are removing the load from the cylinder when you kill the spark. If thats the case then you probably have a spun bearing which means at least replacing the crank and bearings.

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadBlock Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:22 am

Yeah I'd never thought about the bearings cause it idles smoothly just has the bad sparatic knocking. Will that affect anything doing it to a 04 with the coil on plugs? Guess I shouldn't really care since it is going to be rebuilt when the new one goes in but I still want to figure this out so it's not down so long.
RoadBlock
RoadBlock
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Male Number of posts : 324
Humor : What the duece? Doh'
My Name: : Jon
My Ride/Rides: : 2004 Mustang GT, 1967 Mustang Project Car, 1992 LX Mustang Beater
Mods: : Intake, Exhaust, Suspension, Appearance. Nuff said

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down