WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4v swap in a T-bird

+3
Wolvee
BraMas
Danstang
7 posters

Go down

4v swap in a T-bird Empty 4v swap in a T-bird

Post by Danstang Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:51 am

How hard would a 4v swap be in a 94-97 T-bird? It may be an option for me to do and any input would be great. I've always like that year of T-bird and I always wanted to make one badazz one. The 4v is from a '98 Lincoln MarkVIII.
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

4v swap in a T-bird Empty Re: 4v swap in a T-bird

Post by BraMas Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:44 am

Bring it over and we will figure out how hard it would be. It sounds like a sweet idea.
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvee Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:16 am

Intake wont fit, Oil pan would have to be changed, headers, coolant passage on the passenger side of the head would have to be plugged or rerouted. The Mrk8 like I said in my PM may look like the Cobra4v but they are two different beasts.

Here's a article I found

a little long but I did a lot of research to put this together to help others. If there is anything you think I should add, please PM me first.
2v to 4v Swap

Engine and Intake Manifold choices
First off, start with your engine choices. Lincoln Mark VIII engines are cheapest but the intake isn’t so great and you’ll have to deal with IMRC plates. The IMRC plates create better low end torque over the newer 4v heads after 1999. I’ve heard of people using these with a nitrous window switch but that’s up to you. I’ve noticed the prices of 4v engines rising lately. You can probably find a decent Mark VIII motor in any junk yard and snag it for about $700-$1000. They did come with the strongest aluminum blocks made in Teksid, Italy. These blocks go for about $400 alone and are great for any 4.6 build up. Don’t bother with the Continental 4v blocks because they’re front wheel drive and missing one of the motor mounts, oil filter on the opposite side, etc. Another Lincoln 4v 4.6 worth swapping in is out of the Lincoln Aviator SUV. Better heads and cams then the older Lincoln 4vs and older Cobras but the intake is taller and I’m not sure if it fits under a stock Mustang hood. The Aviator motor has the same heads and cams as the Mach’s, 03/04 Cobra’s, and Mercury Marauders. However, all the Lincoln motors came with the weaker 6-bolt cast iron cranks. Another thing to take into consideration for the swap is whether or not your car has a 6-bolt flywheel (96-98 and 01-04 GT) or an 8-bolt flywheel (99-2000 GT). The stock GT flywheel will bolt up to the corresponding number of bolt crank. Aviator motors have been going for around $2700. If you plan on swapping an older Cobra motor into your GT, you might want to take into consideration what type of fuel system you have. If you put an older Cobra motor in a 99-up GT, you’ll have to either convert the fuel system to return-style or get return-less fuel rails for the Cobra motor, not to mention changing the ignition to distributor-less or going with coils and spark plug wires. The older Cobra motors are a little cheaper than the 99-up 4v’s but its hard to find one with lower miles. All Cobra motors come with forged 8-bolt cranks and aluminum blocks with the exception of the 03/04 Cobra with iron blocks. In 1999, Ford improved the cylinder head design on the Cobra making more horsepower and torque. The heads are known as tumbleport or “C” heads. Pre 99 4v’s came with twin port or “B” heads. If you had a 98- older 4v but wanted the higher hp tumbleport heads, you can swap from a Continental 4v after 1999 or any 99-up Cobra/Mach/Marauder/Aviator heads but you’ll need a 99-up intake manifold to make it work. I used a 2001 Cobra intake manifold on my Mach longblock. It’s pretty much the exact same intake minus the shaker system brackets and the snake emblem and the lower is the same. I’ve seen these intakes go anywhere from $350 to $550 un-ported and $650 or more ported. Look for an intake with all the sensors, fuel rail, injectors, etc. These parts add up, trust me. Your tuner will probably recommend an EGR delete as the kit costs around $20 and looks much cleaner. Ford rated the 99 and 01 Cobra’s at 320 hp and under-rated the 03/04 Mach 1’s at 305 hp. Dyno’s have proven the Mach’s to measure as much as 10 rwhp higher than the 99-01 Cobras. Like I said earlier, all Cobra’s came with 8-bolt forged cranks. If your Mach motor is out of an automatic transmission car, it has the cast iron 6-bolt crank. Only manual transmission Mach’s came with the 8-bolt forged crank. However, all Mach’s came with aluminum blocks. There was a website about 2v-4v swaps that claimed Mach 1’s to have iron blocks but this was not true. Prices on the 99-01 Cobra and Mach 1 engines are around $3000 to $3500. If you have lots of money to spend and you want a forged shortblock that’s already supercharged then look for 03/04 Cobra engines and you’ll spend anywhere from $7000 and up for the motor alone. I’ve seen a lot selling with a T56 for $10,000 or more. Overall, getting a complete engine is key. The little things can add up quick and that takes money away from other things you’ll need for the swap. Things like gaskets, bolts, sensors, etc. For example, DOHC cam cover bolts from Ford will cost you almost $8 a piece and you need 20! I went to the junk yard and got them for $5 total from a Mark VIII motor. Your oil pressure sensor and coolant sensor will change over as will your power steering pump, A/C compressor, but I’m not too sure on all the A/C lines because the front covers differ between the years. There was no problem on my 99 GT and 03 Mach engine.
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1711
Humor : "I have nothing to declare but my genius."
My Name: : Mike
My Ride/Rides: : 01 F150
Mods: : 35's, 3" Body lift, soon to have a new 5.4 w/ some goodies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=2525263

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:59 pm

Mike, that's one detailed article. Only thing, it appears they seem to be talking about swapping that motor into a Mustang, I want to build a T-Bird. One that will kick some serious azz. I know there are some differences in the MarkVIII compared to the T-Bird, but this fit seems more logical than that motor in a 'stang. Let me know if you find anything on T-birds, I'll keep looking also.
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:03 pm

BraMas wrote:Bring it over and we will figure out how hard it would be. It sounds like a sweet idea.
Tim, I'm looking for the right T-Bird right now. Get that garage done and maybe we can start that one. I want to find a Bird that I can rack the miles up on to work then work on the motor on the side. Either way we need to go pick the motor up from Brian's. Very Happy
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolvee Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:46 am

Danstang wrote:Mike, that's one detailed article. Only thing, it appears they seem to be talking about swapping that motor into a Mustang, I want to build a T-Bird. One that will kick some serious azz. I know there are some differences in the MarkVIII compared to the T-Bird, but this fit seems more logical than that motor in a 'stang. Let me know if you find anything on T-birds, I'll keep looking also.

I'm on a few Bird forums too. I'll see what they 4v'ers have done and give you an update. My only major worry would still be the height of the intake and the oil pan. You do plan on swapping to a cobra intake no matter what, right?
Wolvee
Wolvee
393 Stroker
393 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 1711
Humor : "I have nothing to declare but my genius."
My Name: : Mike
My Ride/Rides: : 01 F150
Mods: : 35's, 3" Body lift, soon to have a new 5.4 w/ some goodies.

https://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=2525263

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:28 am

don't worry about the haters dan i got a saws-all we can make it fit.... LOL

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyrotech72 Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:26 am

If it looks like it'll fit, and you got the skills and the tools, then yeah, it'll fit. LOL
Pyrotech72
Pyrotech72
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 446
Humor : Never send a truck to do a Sierra's job? If it's a Sierra's job, it's not much of a job.
My Name: : Michael Dean Johnson
My Ride/Rides: : green 95 V8 Thunderbird, gray 02 F-150 FX4 supercab 5.4L
Mods: : Bird: 3 inch air pipe w/ intake silencer removal, muffler removal, resonator removal, Power Slot Frozen Rotors, Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. FX4: PFC brake pads, Bendix Rotors, Granatelli ignition coils, Clarion CD/MP3/USB player.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pyrotech72/WildHorsesClub#

Back to top Go down

Post by sicazzpony Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:43 pm

Is this the same 4v o sold you Dan you wanna put it in. a bird?

sicazzpony
Small Block 289
Small Block 289

Male Number of posts : 106
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Vert
Mods: : Not enough!!......but the whistle sound is serious!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:22 pm

Yes it's the same 4v. I think he was more thinking out loud when he posted this 2 years ago
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 pm

yeah i think he more or less just had the motor and the t-bird sitting there and was like "hmm... i wonder"

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by sicazzpony Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 am

I Gotcha I'm still trying to catch up I'm lol behind

sicazzpony
Small Block 289
Small Block 289

Male Number of posts : 106
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Vert
Mods: : Not enough!!......but the whistle sound is serious!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Yup, same motor, still haven't done anything with it yet. lol
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyGhost Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Hey how about putting it in my Samurai???? LOL! Just thinking out loud too!! What a Face

GreyGhost

Number of posts : 898

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down