WILDHORSES MUSTANG CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil question (I know we all love these!)

+4
BraMas
loosenut41983
PAINTERDUDE
wingedone
8 posters

Go down

Which vicosity for the old engines

Oil question (I know we all love these!) I_vote_lcap100%Oil question (I know we all love these!) I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 3 ]
Oil question (I know we all love these!) I_vote_lcap0%Oil question (I know we all love these!) I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 3

Oil question (I know we all love these!) Empty Oil question (I know we all love these!)

Post by wingedone Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:21 am

It's not "Mustang" related so I thought I would put it here. You guys a very knowledgable.

I have been using 10w40 in the Superbird and Thunderbird, adding a half quart of Lucas break-in oil for the extra zinc these old engines need.

However, after much research I am planning on using Valvoline VR-1 racing oil which has enough zinc.

Here is the question for you to consider:

The VR-1 appears to only come in 10w30 or 20w50 for my application (no straight SAE's will be used).

Which would be better to use in these 40 year old engines (running from 45 to 90 degrees) the 10w30 or 20w50?

Thanks!
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Male Number of posts : 540
Humor : George Carlin, Bill Maher, Lewis Black
My Name: : Thomas
My Ride/Rides: : 1969 Thunderbird, 1969 Camaro, 1993 GoldWing

Back to top Go down

Oil question (I know we all love these!) Empty Re: Oil question (I know we all love these!)

Post by PAINTERDUDE Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 pm

I don't know anything about the Valvoline you mentioned but if you were talking about conventional motor oil 20-50 is too heavy, 10-30 or 10-40 would be the max you would want to go even in the hot months of summer, If it was winter and you started an engine with 10-40 you better have a strong battery and a healthy starter as 10-40 cold will be a thick as molases. Maybe new cars would use 20-50??? but I wouldn't put that weight oil in an older engine, just my opinion based on what I have always been taught, but I don't know much about the new motor oils. I have had the best luck using mobil 1 full synthetic 5-30 or 10-30 in the summer, when the oil is due to be changed it still looks clean. Let me know how it works for you.
PAINTERDUDE
PAINTERDUDE
Small Block 289
Small Block 289

Male Number of posts : 161
Humor : If you can read this, your too damn close.
My Name: : Lyle
My Ride/Rides: : 1996 Mustang GT
Mods: : Custon tri-coat silver and black paint. Marbelized racing stripes. Eibach 2 inch lowering springs.

Back to top Go down

Oil question (I know we all love these!) Empty Re: Oil question (I know we all love these!)

Post by loosenut41983 Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:36 pm

I would use 10 w30. the 20 w50 may be a little too thick to run in your engine. and may be a little harder to start. but you could always try one and then the other too see which works better. neither one will damage your engine. i just think the thicker the oil makes your engine work harder, which in turn gets a little less fuel economy and performance. but its your preference on which you think your engine likes better. so try both if you want to. but just to state, diesel engines run 20 w50.
loosenut41983
loosenut41983
Small Block 289
Small Block 289

Number of posts : 174
Humor : a ford contour being pulled over by 7 pedal bike cops..... priceless!!!
My Name: : Scott
My Ride/Rides: : 00' Blue Ford Mustang V6
Mods: : magnaflow dual exhaust, steeda tri-ax short throw shifter, smoked headlights, infinity speakers, blue instrument gauges, smoked fog lights, mach 1 chin spoiler, bbk 65mm throttle body, bbk cold air induction, bbk shorty headers, shelby razor 17x9 wheels with bridgestone potenza re-01r, 7.5 posi-lok diff with 4.10 gears, aluminum girdle diff cover, bama custom tuner, sequential turn signals, mach 1 grille delete kit

Back to top Go down

Post by BraMas Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:09 pm

I've been using Vegetable oil for years Very Happy
BraMas
BraMas
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1533
My Name: : Tim

Back to top Go down

Post by Eturner Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:16 pm

BraMas wrote:I've been using Vegetable oil for years Very Happy

Hahahahahaha
Eturner
Eturner
347 Stroker
347 Stroker

Male Number of posts : 970
Humor : Yes it's fast.....No you can't drive it!!!
My Name: : ED
My Ride/Rides: : 2004 MUSTANG GT......40th ANNV.
Mods: : INTAKE, PULLLYS, TUNE, AND A CHERRY-BOMB VORTEX CAT BACK SYSTEM.....MACH 1 CHIN SPOILER, SOME DECALS AND INTERIOR PEICES TOO.

Back to top Go down

Post by wingedone Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:43 am

BraMas wrote:I've been using Vegetable oil for years Very Happy

In the engine Tim, not what you use as a marital aid.

Razz

banana
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Back to top Go down

Post by wingedone Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Wow, one whole vote. LOL

Anyway, appreciate the input guys. I will use 10w30.

20w50 is a popular weight for some Goldwingers. Go figure.
wingedone
wingedone
Small Block 351W
Small Block 351W

Back to top Go down

Post by BRADTHEBLADE Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm

ok if you are looking for the higher zinc count you should go with the rotella t 15-w40 that they run in the ford powerstokes all the engine shops recomend it as breakin oil do to its high zinc.(the shops here local.dowkers and poterville machine shop that is)as for 20-50 it is very thick and i have only used it in motors on the death bed you know ones were the oil presure is droping of do to bad bearings it helps take up the gap.this is just my 2 cents though.
BRADTHEBLADE
BRADTHEBLADE
Small Block 302
Small Block 302

Male Number of posts : 380
My Name: : Brad
My Ride/Rides: : mine 95vert/wife 01 gt
Mods: : custom paint v6 to v8 swap auto to tko 500 swap 7.5 to cobra irs swap all locks and antenna shaved lowerd 2.5 inches red interior swaped to all black cobra interior powder coated engine parts svo side exhaust one piece NON halo head lights clear tail lights and side markers saleen speedster cover 10.5 chrome cobra r rims out back and 9,s up front 3.73 gears aluminum radiator and drive shaft 125 shot dual nitrous tank set up style bar with custom air defuzer and alot of other things i forget

Back to top Go down

Post by Danstang Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:30 pm

wingedone wrote:Wow, one whole vote. LOL

Anyway, appreciate the input guys. I will use 10w30.

20w50 is a popular weight for some Goldwingers. Go figure.
Am I the only one who voted?
Danstang
Danstang
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3849
Humor : Forget 5 o'clock.....it's NOON somewhere!
My Name: : Dan
My Ride/Rides: : 2002 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey Metallic
Mods: : LRS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Auburn HD differential, 3.73 gears, MAC O/R H-Pipe, CherryBomb cat-backs, '03 Cobra front bumper, '01 Cobra hood, Mach1 wheels (powdercoated), black wing, rear window louvers, Tokico lowering springs and struts, Ford Racing Cobra front control arms, UPR rear upper and lower control arms, Eibach rear sway bar, MAC caster/camber plates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:25 pm

there i voted too... i know my car struggles to start on cold days with 10w-40 so i gotta assume that if i tried 10w-50 it would just laugh and kick me in the junk

Shady
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1366
Humor : When you own a ford you don't need a good wrench!
My Name: : Rick AKA "Shady"
My Ride/Rides: : 1997, Mustang GT, Black
Mods: : Lambo doors, 6" cowl hood, Alpine touchscreen in-dash DVD player, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous System, BBK off-road X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Halo Headlights, 20" KMC Floss Wheels, and a cute passenger seat cover...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down